Steep Hill Problem

I live in New England (zone 3-4) and have a very steep hill currently planted in grass (a real pain to mow) that terminates in woodland. I would like to get rid of the grass and plant either day lilies, or else some kind of ground-cover that will prevent erosion but need little maintenance as the hill is almost too steep to walk on. The area is about 100 yards long by about 15' from the shoulder of the hill to the woods. The drop is about 10 feet from the shoulder at the steepest point. Any suggestions about how to do this and what to use would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
snipped-for-privacy@my-deja.com (simy1) wrote:

If it is sunny, the daylilies will do better. Here in Pennsylvania, the banks on both sides of our road are covered with day lilies for a couple miles and it was absolutely gorgous most of July. A landscaper couldn't have done a better job. Our road side was planted by nature.
We have vinca minor growing in dense shade in the woods behind our home. It doesn't fill in very solid. It looks nice, but doesn't prevent erosion. It does keep other plants from coming in. It doesn't spread beyond the dense shade.
Thanks! your message and the following message give me great guidance.