Stately gardens in the US?

My mother has always wanted to go and visit the "stately" and famous gardens in England. But with the pound being so strong, the US or Canada looks a more affordable destination. Are there any famous open gardens in these countries?! I can't recall having heard of any, but there must be some.
ant
Just off hand, can think of Longwood Gardens near Philadelphia Pennsylvania and Sonnenberg Gardens in Canandaguia New York. There is the lilac festival in Rochester New York in the spring. There's also the Brooklyn Botanical Gardens and the Bornx Botanical Gardens near the Bronx Zoo.
There are many, many more I'm sure.
Jan
Learn something new every day As long as you are learning, you are living When you stop learning, you start dying

gardens
thanks! I'll start googling those.

gardens
This is not famous, but maybe worth your time if your in the area.
http://www.omahabotanicalgardens.org /
Omaha, NE
Cheers, Jim
In Victoria British Columbia, the Buchart Gardens - in Mobile, Alabama, Bellingrath Gardens - in Portland, Oregon, Rose Test Gardens and Japanese Garden at the Washington Park Arboretum, Ohme Gardens (alpine flowers) Wenatchee, Washington, Manito Park, Spokane, Washington, MaClay Gardens, Tallahassee, Florida, Harry Leu Gardens, Orlando Florida, the Missouri Botanical Gardens, Norfolk Botanical Gardens, Norfolk, Virginia, Winterthur Gardens, Delaware, Golden Gate Park gardens, San Francisco, Magnolia Plantation and Cypress Gardens, Charleston, South Carolina - these are just a few of many large and beautiful public gardens in the US. If you're going to tour, start with the southern gardens from late February through mid-April, then wend your way to the mid-Atlantic, and/or the west coast for April-May and to the Northwest for June/July. Some of the above are associated with mansions and estates, others with public parks.

gardens
One other thing to think about. The gardens in the southeast are strongest in blooming subtropical shrubs (things like azaleas and camellias). In season, they are breathtaking - out of season, these gardens are rather dull. The mid-atlantic has a mix of perennials and shrubs, but because the climate can be harsh, sometimes the display is spotty - although in good years the mix of beautiful hardwood forests and gardens can be impressive. For consistently performing displays of both perennials and annuals, the northwestern gardens are the best, since the summers are not too hot and there are rarely storms to damage or destroy the display. However, this upcoming summer may be atypical because the northwest has had very little snow or rain this winter, and that may mean water-rationing and other problems for gardens this summer.
hmmm. that might be a big consideration, yes. We'd probably be planning a spring trip, as I am already in the US for winter times. I wouldn't have thought of the northwest as a primary garden destination, but the climate is mild and moist.
ant

ant wrote:

If you have any interest in tropical plants, the Fairchild Tropical Botanic Garden in Coral Gables (very near Miami) is worth a visit.
http://www.fairchildgarden.org /
Not exactly stately, but beautiful.
Mike Prager Beaufort, NC (on the coast in zone 8a) (Remove spam traps from email address to reply.)

I was googling and did find this one. I have emailed the link, as I think she might find it interesting. Look slike a really impressive place.
ant

It makes for a fun day- if you get tired of walking you can ride the trolley. And if you ask they will drop you off anywhere along the routes or pick you up halfway back if you run out of steam. There are many, many different type areas to explore from "stately" more formal areas to true jungle. The cafe is airconditioned for a cool down- as is the wonderful library with the comfy chairs. And you can even buy plants you admire.
--
Toni
Zone 10

gardens
Biltmore Estate, Asheville, NC http://www.biltmore.com /
Callaway Gardens, Pine Mountain, GE http://www.callawayonline.com /
Kingwood in Mansfield, OH http://www.kingwoodcenter.org/gardens.html
White River Gardens, Indianapolis, IN http://www.indyzoo.com /
Park of Roses, Columbus, OH http://recparks.columbus.gov/Parks/Parks_4.asp
Winterthur, Winterthur, DE http://www.winterthur.org /
Primarily a huge conservatory with some gardens: Phipps Conservatory, Pittsburgh, PA http://www.phipps.conservatory.org /
ant Wrote:

Hi Ant,
These links should be helpful.
Directories listing gardens: http://tinyurl.com/6x84y http://www.ilovegardens.com/index.html http://www.gardenvisit.com / http://www.botanique.com /
Individual gardens - some lesser known and some famous and all hav formal gardens: http://www.monticello.org/index.html http://tinyurl.com/5428x http://www.lewisginter.org / http://www.ahs.org/river_farm/index.htm http://www.annapolis.org/paca.htm http://tinyurl.com/3mlzj http://tinyurl.com/2cusd http://tinyurl.com/448x3 http://www.hillwoodmuseum.org / http://www.winterthur.org / http://www.bullishall.com/gardens.htm http://www.biltmore.com / http://tinyurl.com/5tjp5 http://tinyurl.com/5xdt4 http://www.ortongardens.com / http://www.wfu.edu/gardens / http://www.ortongardens.com / http://www.brookgreen.com / http://www.magnoliaplantation.com / http://www.middletonplace.org / http://www.longuevue.com / http://tinyurl.com/6ppl6 http://www.heritageroses.us / http://www.hearstcastle.org / http://www.demuth.org/18garden1.htm http://www.demuth.org/garden.htm
Wish I could come along!! Have a great trip! New
-- Newt
Wow! thanks for all those.
thanks for all these responses btw people, I'm looking at them all and emailing them home (I'm currently in the US, she's at home in Oz, we are thinking of doing this next season) so she can have a look. These gardens are excellent, I'd been asking guests I teach skiing to about open gardens, and htey all seemed puzzled and had no idea. Glad to see the US (and Canada) are bursting with world-class gardens. Great websites, too!
ant

For emulating the classic English landscape garden, consider Ney York's Central Park. http://www.centralpark.org /
While in the city, you can also visit Wave Hill Garden. http://www.wavehill.org/home /
And also a park considered by many to be Olmsted's crowned jewel, Prospect Park. http://www.prospectpark.org
-- David J. Bockman, Fairfax, VA (USDA Hardiness Zone 7) email: snipped-for-privacy@beyondgardening.com http://beyondgardening.com/Albums

gardens
One of the most impressive garden I know is "The Huntington Library" in the LA area. It takes all day to see it and lots of walking. The cactus garden is very impressive. Although there is an actual library, the gardens are "stately." PBS produced a show about this garden.

See my list at <URL:http://www.rossde.com/garden/public_gardens.html .
--

David E. Ross
<URL:http://www.rossde.com/

Longwood Gardens, Kennet Square PA is pretty amazing. You'll want to have a little notepad in your pocket, and a lot of money to spend on plants when you get home. Don't ask how I know this. :-) www.longwoodgardens.org