Stately gardens in the US?

My mother has always wanted to go and visit the "stately" and famous gardens in England. But with the pound being so strong, the US or Canada looks a more affordable destination. Are there any famous open gardens in these countries?! I can't recall having heard of any, but there must be some.

ant

Reply to
ant

Just off hand, can think of Longwood Gardens near Philadelphia Pennsylvania and Sonnenberg Gardens in Canandaguia New York. There is the lilac festival in Rochester New York in the spring. There's also the Brooklyn Botanical Gardens and the Bornx Botanical Gardens near the Bronx Zoo.

There are many, many more I'm sure.

Jan

Reply to
JonquilJan

thanks! I'll start googling those.

Reply to
ant

This is not famous, but maybe worth your time if your in the area.

NE

Cheers, Jim

Reply to
Play4abuck

Reply to
gregpresley

Hi Ant,

These links should be helpful.

Directories listing gardens:

gardens - some lesser known and some famous and all hav formal gardens:
I could come along!! Have a great trip! New

-- Newt

Reply to
Newt

If you have any interest in tropical plants, the Fairchild Tropical Botanic Garden in Coral Gables (very near Miami) is worth a visit.

exactly stately, but beautiful.

Mike Prager Beaufort, NC (on the coast in zone 8a) (Remove spam traps from email address to reply.)

Reply to
Mike Prager

Biltmore Estate, Asheville, NC

Gardens, Pine Mountain, GE
in Mansfield, OH
River Gardens, Indianapolis, IN
of Roses, Columbus, OH
Winterthur, DE
a huge conservatory with some gardens: Phipps Conservatory, Pittsburgh, PA

Vox Humana

For emulating the classic English landscape garden, consider Ney York's Central Park.

in the city, you can also visit Wave Hill Garden.
also a park considered by many to be Olmsted's crowned jewel, Prospect Park.

David J Bockman

Reply to
Phisherman

See my list at .

Reply to
David Ross

Wow! thanks for all those.

thanks for all these responses btw people, I'm looking at them all and emailing them home (I'm currently in the US, she's at home in Oz, we are thinking of doing this next season) so she can have a look. These gardens are excellent, I'd been asking guests I teach skiing to about open gardens, and htey all seemed puzzled and had no idea. Glad to see the US (and Canada) are bursting with world-class gardens. Great websites, too!

ant

Reply to
ant

I was googling and did find this one. I have emailed the link, as I think she might find it interesting. Look slike a really impressive place.

ant

Reply to
ant

awesome, thank you all! Just viewing the sites is fun. trouble is deciding to stay with the east, or to get tempted by the other parts! Some really magnificent gardens here.

ant

Reply to
ant

Longwood Gardens, Kennet Square PA is pretty amazing. You'll want to have a little notepad in your pocket, and a lot of money to spend on plants when you get home. Don't ask how I know this. :-)

Doug Kanter

It makes for a fun day- if you get tired of walking you can ride the trolley. And if you ask they will drop you off anywhere along the routes or pick you up halfway back if you run out of steam. There are many, many different type areas to explore from "stately" more formal areas to true jungle. The cafe is airconditioned for a cool down- as is the wonderful library with the comfy chairs. And you can even buy plants you admire.

Reply to
Toni

One other thing to think about. The gardens in the southeast are strongest in blooming subtropical shrubs (things like azaleas and camellias). In season, they are breathtaking - out of season, these gardens are rather dull. The mid-atlantic has a mix of perennials and shrubs, but because the climate can be harsh, sometimes the display is spotty - although in good years the mix of beautiful hardwood forests and gardens can be impressive. For consistently performing displays of both perennials and annuals, the northwestern gardens are the best, since the summers are not too hot and there are rarely storms to damage or destroy the display. However, this upcoming summer may be atypical because the northwest has had very little snow or rain this winter, and that may mean water-rationing and other problems for gardens this summer.

Reply to
gregpresley

hmmm. that might be a big consideration, yes. We'd probably be planning a spring trip, as I am already in the US for winter times. I wouldn't have thought of the northwest as a primary garden destination, but the climate is mild and moist.

ant

Reply to
ant