stargazer lilies

Greetings folks:

Just a quick question here. I'm a fairly new gardener in Halifax, Nova Scotia, zone 5a. I recently planted some stargazer lily bulbs as well as some glads in a bed I just put in. I'm happy to say that I'm starting to see some sprouts come up - but I'm not sure which they are! The sprouts are about two inches tall now, with reddish and green. Can anyone help?

Thanks!

KD

Reply to
KD

the stargazers should look bigger, with tufted tops and the glads will have a thin, sword shape leaf.

Note: The stargazers will get bigger every year - m> Greetings folks:

Reply to
Sterling

HI KD.

The lilies will appear above ground looking much like a large asparagus stalk, the glads will look like green blades. The lilies indeed can appear to have some reddish coloration, especially if your nights have been cold. This won't hurt them a bit, they are tough, and I doubt you'd be getting frost this late so close to the ocean.

I'm not even mentioning the possibility of strong sun on new growth, as I know perfectly d**n well that you've not seen any more SUN than I have in the last 5 weeks ( another mouldy soul in the northeast)

Sue Western Maine

Reply to
Sue in Western Maine

The Glads will have a single stock with no leaves while the Lily bulbs will have leaves on the stock.

For a preview of what your Stargazer Lilies will look like take a look at this page from my web site,

have grown them for years and the neighbors love them.

Reply to
Bill R

Thanks for the help all. It would appear that these are the gladiolas that are poking their heads up. After nearly three weeks of clouds, rain and cold, we actually had sun yesterday after, and it continued on today! As a result of this rare warmth, three more have shown their heads above the ground - I'm sure that in under 24 hours, I got at least an inch or two of growth on these. I hope that my Stargazers come up too, they are such beautiful flowers.

I learned about gladiola bulb storage last year; I packed 'em up in sand-filled sealed containers, thinking that would dry them out. I opened them up this spring to a mess of rotten bulbs and aphids. You see, I can be taught! :)

KD

Reply to
KD