squirrels stealing tomatoes

Page 4 of 5

I feel happy and sad at the same time... emotional dissonance.
Frank wrote:

ok .. I have to say that discussion is histerical!!!!!!!!
--
Natural Girl

And she can't spell either.
--
Remember Rachel Corrie
<http://www.rachelcorrie.org/
Billy wrote:

yeah .. you got me. {{hangs head in shame}}
--
Natural Girl

I thought you misspelled it on porpoise. ("histerical" since a male-oriented discussion. Like some say "herstory" when talking about women in "history".)
Gus wrote:

hahah Sometimes, my fingers do the spelling vs. my brain! It goes back to my original typing class on that manual typewriter (a dinosaur now) in Jr High school where we practiced certain letter combinations to gain speed. I didn't type very fast back then, but when I hit the chat scene using computer keyboards I jumped from 30wpm to about 70wpm and some of that was typing in chat shorthand which had nothing to do with spelling correctly, so I'm doubly disabled as a typist, now! {{smacks hands}}
I hit backspace or delete more than I care to admit! Sometimes, I hit send before I see the errors. I'm bad.. I confess.. I need to join 'bad spellers when typing' anonymous and improve my act. {kicks dirt}
--
Natural Girl

I had typing in HS on a manual. Kids have it so easy today. I hated typing though I did learn QWERTY which apparently is not going away until voice recognition gets perfected, but looks like kb's will be around for a while still... I hated manual typing and getting to the last line of the page and screwing up and the teacher saying I had to start all over on a new page. And there was still carbon paper around then. The original cc: Kids don't know how easy they have it! Or, what it was like walking 5 miles to school, in below zero weather, in a foot of snow, and being chased by wolves on the way.
We had locks at work where you had to push in buttons with both hands in a certain sequence. I did them so many times, I didn't have to look at the numbers. Occasionally someone new would ask the combination and I couldn't tell them. I would have to get up and go to the door and let my fingers so it and decode what my fingers did. They say the body has memory that the conscious mind isn't always conscious of.
On 5/10/2013 3:36 PM, Gus wrote:

haha! chased by wolves? You had it worse than me, then! We didn't have wolves chasing us. We had coyotes!

Did you ever see the movie "The Apple Dumpling Gang"?
Does this bring back memories, "I'm-a teachin' my fanger to read!"
I always laughed at that line.
--
Natural Girl

On 5/10/2013 11:46 AM, Gus wrote:

billy should know that a good woman don't spell, don't smell and don't swell.

Orthography aside, I find it odd that I feed our local squirrels, and have never had a tomato stolen by them. I feed the birds, and they don't dig up my seedlings, and the raccoons, who graze the compost pile, only do minimal damage. Today I enjoyed the insects dancing inthe sunlight, the pas de deux by a pair of monarch butterflies, the birds at the feeder, and the grey squirrel who looked for errant seed under the feeder. I enjoy my gardening breaks.
--
Remember Rachel Corrie
<http://www.rachelcorrie.org/
snipped-for-privacy@wi.rr.com wrote:

I once caught a mole digging through my garden. I could see it digging so I got a shovel and dug it up and caught it in a jar. Creepy looking critters, too. I didn't want to set it free so it could harass some other person and dig up their yard, so I kind of did what you did with the squirrel, only in the jar. When it had expired I just poured out the water, put the lid back on, and put it in the trash can... It's been years since that happened, though. Haven't caught another one going through my garden since.
--
Natural Girl

On 5/14/2013 11:34 AM, Natural Girl wrote:

When I was a kid, I had this friend, Billy, who was deathly afraid of snakes.
I caught a small garter snake, put it in an empty bag of M&M's and offered the candy to Billy.
Frank wrote:

ACKKKKK!!!!!!! LOL The stuff boys do to each other!!
An aside ... some time ago a friend of mine went to open a sealed package of microwave oatmeal for her breakfast. A petrified dead mouse was in the package instead of oatmeal. The oatmeal company said they'd give her a new box of oatmeal for her problem. She doesn't buy packaged oatmeal anymore!
A funny ... my friends husband was out in the yard raking leaves to prepare the garden for it's final spring clean up from winter when she said he started shouting and doing a bit of a dance. She came running over and he was shouting something about a snake! She wasn't too scared of snakes and more curious, so she was looking to see what sort of a snake it was and took the rake to sift about through the leaves. It turnes out that it was a fairly large night crawler that was wiggling around because it had been disturbed! Her husband wasn't amused despite she nearly fell down laughing at him! <smile>
--
Natural Girl

On 5/15/2013 11:37 AM, Natural Girl wrote:

Good idea to look at what you eat. I once munched a stink bug. I quit growing leaf lettuce after a creepy crawler came out if it when on my plate. Same for broccoli with big green worms that are hard to see.
Snakes don't bother me but my wife is deathly afraid of them. I remove them from property if I catch them. Think I mentioned I've caught a few large black snakes in deer netting.
Me. I don't like spiders but they do not bother my wife. Strange, isn't it?

When I was young, a friend bit into an apple. And after chewing a bit noticed a worm in the apple... half a worm.

My mom used to get Mrs Grasse soup when I was young. One day I open the box (it was dehydrated noodles with a flavor packet). I poured out the box into a bowl and there was an empty locust shell... I never ate that brand again.
On 5/15/2013 8:21 PM, Gus wrote:

yuk .. I don't blamer her.
--
Natural Girl

I once got food poisoning from a Wendy's salad bar (back when they had salad bars in the 80s). I was on a trip with my parents to my brother's graduation at Penn State and famished. The salad dressing tasted a little funny but I was so hungry I ate it and didn't think of it. That night and the next afternoon I threw up more times than I could count. After I passed out from being dehydrated and throwing up so much, they took the situation more serious and took me to a health clinic. (Where I went to sleep on Saturday afternoon and when I woke up it was Sunday night.)... I didn't eat blue cheese dressing for over 10 years. But one day, I did. I still am a bit leery of it but like it on salad now and then.

Yet, on BBC Overnight, the other days was a story about using insects for food. Many children die of malnutrition in this world we live in, but insects provide a good source of protein and sustenance. The interviewee suggested that it would be worthwhile to set up insect farms to raise insects for food. Approximately 1/2 of children under 5 that die, die of malnutrition related problems.
People eat some disgusting looking things such as lobsters, crawfish and crabs-- why not insects? Is a lobster that much different than a giant cockroach? Some societies eat insects. And don't chimps consider ants a delicacy? Though I can't imagine eating an insect and find it completely repulsive. Why is that?
I was thinking someone should come up with something to do with all the cicadas. Migrant workers could travel around capturing the different broods that appear in different years. You have to remove the shells and scratchy parts, and ground them up. But we already do that with many meats. Hamburger looks nothing like Betsy the cow (or the 100 different Betsys it may be from.) You know, if the locust shell in the box I saw had been ground up, I am pretty sure I never would have known the difference and ate the soup none the worse for wear.