squirrels stealing tomatoes

Page 1 of 5
What non-lethal methods work best to keep city squirrels away from tomatoes? It is a serious problem here. I wouldn't mind sharing some tomatoes, but the squirrels here are very rude and do not share. And actually taunt. Taking a bite out of a perfectly good tomato and then leaving it.
Building a wire cage probably is the best method, but I hear they can even get through those. And I'm not all that handy at building things.
Last year, putting soaking a rag with vinegar about every 3 or so days seemed to work for a while. Though at the end of the summer, even that was not deterring them that well.
On Friday, May 3, 2013 5:25:56 AM UTC-7, Gus wrote:

Go to your local Asian market and get some bright red (fresh) Thai chilies. Attach them to your plants with twist ties. One little nibble and they'll find some other thing to eat.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

I once did this with garlic for gophers. My luck, Italian gophers. If you have Thai Buddhist squirrels, they may start manifesting for napalm curry. Stiff upper lip, and all that sort of thing.
Worse comes to worse, cook with those tomatoes. One hundred and eighty-one degrees fahrenheit for 20 minutes will take care of any bacteria. Boil the spaghetti sauce, and the pathogens are goners.
--
Remember Rachel Corrie
<http://www.rachelcorrie.org/
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Odd, I feed my squirrels walnuts to come around.
--
Remember Rachel Corrie
<http://www.rachelcorrie.org/
On 5/3/13 5:25 AM, Gus wrote:

I heard of spraying with a mixture of cayenne, animal repellant, and urine. Of course, you will then have to wash the tomatoes thoroughly before eating them.
--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see

I tried cayenne for a while and all it did was make the few tomatoes I got before squirrels have a cayenne flavor. Didn't seem to faze the squirrels.
urine... hmmm.
On 05/03/2013 10:01 AM, Gus wrote:

Hi Gus,
Certain hunting supply stores sell animal scents to covert the delightful smell of human. Maybe coyote or mountain lion smell would work?
I don't know that this would apply for squirrels, but my sister-in-law got rid of her gophers by cramming cat pee pee and skat from their litter boxes down their holes. Supposedly, it smells like their predators.
It was our idea to have her do it. She didn't want to use poison (her cats would eat the dead gophers and get poisoned themselves) or explosives (my favorite).
Then after she did the deed, I apologized profusely to her, saying I didn't think she would do it. It was only a joke! And, yes, I laughed so hard I almost puked. She is still getting even with me. Life is good. It is good to be a Brother-In-Law.
-T

That cat litter may turn into a sticky mess. I suppose it depends on the brand, but I thought I'd save some outdoors to use like sand after our cat died.
It got moist and turned into a paste. 10 years later I'm still trying to get all of it out of the soil.
--
Dan Espen

On 05/03/2013 02:00 PM, Dan Espen wrote:

Hi Dan,
YUK!
That is why you cram it about 2 feet down their holes! Do squirrels have holes?
-T

Yes, but not in the ground.
--
Dan Espen

On 05/03/2013 02:06 PM, Dan Espen wrote:

Hmmm. Will the tree forgive you?

They are 'holes. Facade of cute bushy tails, but they are selfish psychopathic bastards.
On 5/3/2013 4:23 PM, Gus wrote:

My husband calls them 'tree rats'!
--
Natural Girl

After what happened two years ago, that is how I see them. One morning, I opened my back door and there was a ripe tomato in front of the door, with one bite out of it. I looked around and there was a squirrel looking at me. Sitting on top the deck, smirking.
I live in the city and cannot shoot or trap tree rats. I would build a cage but I'm not terribly good at building things. And to do it right, it was more than I wanted to spend on supplies. After what happened two years ago, I am willing to use biological or chemical warfare. I have tried cayenne pepper and animal repellant from the vegetable stand, but it had no aeffect. Vinegar soaked rags were somewhat successful last year, but I may need a two or more pronged defense. Yond, this year the squirrels have look like Cassius...
On 5/5/2013 11:23 AM, Gus wrote:

OMG!!!!!!!!!! That's histerical!!! smirking?? LOL

hahaaahaha I'm only laughing because I totally understand just how frustrating those tree rats can be. One year I had some gorgeous tomatoes that were nearly ready to pick. I told myself I'd pick them tomorrow... when I went out to get the ... EVERY tomato was gone on that bush!!!!!!!! I was livid. Now, I don't wait to pull them!
--
Natural Girl

When I had the serious problem two years ago, I started started to pull green ones, but they aren't as fun to pick. And then you have to wait for them to ripen indoors, just sitting there. The squirrels starting biting and taking the green ones on the plants, even small ones. They don't have much sense. Or, maybe they are just very vindictive jerks. They may look cute, but they are not good neighbors. I had a couple get into part of my roof last year and had to get an exterminator. Cost a couple hundred dollars to eradicate them.
On 5/5/2013 2:20 PM, Gus wrote:

I bet it was satisfying tho! 2 down ... a zillion to go! DIE TREE RATS! DIE! :)
--
Natural Girl

On 5/3/13 10:01 AM, Gus wrote:

The mixture was successfully used at a public garden where I am a docent. The garden has two white mulberry trees (Morus alba) that squirrel were killing by eating all the new shoots every spring. The squirrels were also eating the bark off the branches. Apparently, there is something in the shoots and bark that gives the squirrels a buzz (squirrel marijuana?). The trees were often 2-3 months leafing out because of the shoots being eaten.
This year, the trees leafed out on schedule in April. I was told that a mixture of animal repellant, cayenne, and urine had been sprayed up into the trees.
--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see

might I inquire, who's urine?