squirrels & new lawn; Help!!

we laid a new mini-citi-backyard lawn(with sod) about 6 weeks ago... it's great!! but squirrells are digging holes in it every day. it's such a small lawn that if this keeps up, alas, our lawn will disappear. any suggestions to deal with this greatly appreciated...

Throw lots of peanuts into your neighbors' yards. :-)

i might just do that given that the neighbors left and right have no grass to be dug up(so i wouldn't be exporting my problem to them) :)

Another option is to get a Havahart trap, bait it with crackers & peanut butter, catch the little beasties, and drive them to a park. Be sure to put some corrugated cardboard under the trap when you put it in the car. Squirrels have lots of claws, and they'll shred whatever's under the cage.
Of course, this is temporary, since other squirrels will soon move into the vacated territory, but if you continue the trapping, it might buy you the couple of months you need for the lawn to get tough enough to be un-diggable.
By the way, practice at opening the trap from behind and taking 3 steps backward, quickly. Squirrels get really pissed off. My experience is that really don't attack you, but I've seen one or two jump on top of the trap so fast that your hand gets caught in the action.
jeffrey lohn Wrote:

If you are going to throw peanuts, be sure they aren't in their case as those will get buried. Use hulled/shelled peanuts. Another optio would be to feed them hulled sunflower seeds. The birds will like i too and no hulls to make a mess. If the squirrels have something t eat, they won't be digging in your garden.
New
-- Newt

a small lawn that if this keeps up, alas, our lawn will disappear.> any suggestions to deal with this greatly appreciated...-

be to feed them hulled sunflower seeds. The birds will like ittoo and no hulls to make a mess. If the squirrels have something toeat, they won't be digging in your garden.

problem is i think they are digging in the lawn to HIDE the peanuts. are you suggesting that i feed them peanuts in the un-opened shell? or peanuts which i've taken out of the shell?
jeffrey lohn Wrote:

If you feed them peanuts IN the shell, they will bury them as the shel protects the peanuts. If you either break the shells in half or giv them peanuts that have no shell, they will eat them and leave you plants and bulbs alone. They don't bury the shelled peanuts.
New
-- Newt
Maybe you buried a bunch of their acorns?