squirrals

how can i deter squirrals from my pots and planters

Reply to
karen davies

Put enough pinecones in the pots that the soil doesn't show. Said to hurt their paws and noses and they will not try to dig. But if enough soil shows that they can get their tiny feet into, they will dig up and throw out the pinecones. Depending on the plants in the pots, the pine cones might not even be visible.

Joan

Reply to
Oliver N. Skoglund

Another idea is using those 12-inch bamboo kebab skewers, available at supermarkets, etc. I stick a few vertically in each pot/container.......no need for coverage in this case.....and it has never failed. It deters squirrels and cats alike. They see the sticks as fixed barriers and don't even try to dislodge them. The skewers weather and become almost invisible after a while and last a long time. (For squirrels, you may need to put them a bit closer together.)

Note: it's not at all necessary to have the skewers' pointed side up; in fact, it's probably best not to, Firstly, you don't want to chance injury to any critter's eyes, and secondly, you'll ALWAYS end up getting stuck by them accidentally.

Best, Tyra nNJ usa z7

Reply to
Tyra Trevellyn

i find that a benjamin .20 caliber air rifle keeps them at bay....

if that is not your forte...i have also tried using something called *squirrel repellant*... actually made for bird seed feeders, but i have noticed that when the seeds get into the planter box almost directly below the feeder, we have sun flowers germinating within a week....

squirrel repellant.. made by GADJIT OUTDOORS.. McNaughton, Inc Mpls, MN

Reply to
WARRENRN1

I rfound the repellant they sell in the UK totally useless; they seem to like the stuff!

However a 0.22 calibre air rifle with telescopic sights works wonders. But *only* take head shots & calibrate the sights carefully or you risk an injured animal running away; an air rifle will not reliably & rapidly kill a squirrel unless you hit its head. You also need to think very carefully about safe lines of fire so that a shot cannot over carry. I have shot 23 so far, in a few months, all dropped stone dead; just one ran off injured, turned its head at the wrong (?right) moment & was just 'grazed'; I got it the next day.

Harvey