Sprouts withering and dying

I've sprouted a few things (tomatoes, pinto beans, carrots) in plastic bags on a wet paper towel. If they go dry for just a day they more or less die.
The plants I've sprouted outside in the ground from seed are FAR more hardy. They're significantly more green, and can go for several days without watering.
Do you think this is a matter of lack of sunlight, too much water, or both?
Jeff Rodriguez wrote:

Are you kidding?