sprouting an avocado seed?

Hi Everyone,
I am new here and I was looking up info on avocado seeds. I saw the thread to this but can't seem to figure out how to reply to it as there is not reply button. So, here is my question. I did the seed with the point side up in water with the toothpicks. There is the white thing, possibly the root, growing out the bottom of it. Isn't it supposed to grow out of the top of it? Is my seed dyslectic...LOL Should I toss it and start over or just turn it upside down?
Thanks, Nash

no, the root is supposed to grow out of the bottom. it's fairly common to grow a root before growing the stalk & leaves. if you want to keep the avocado tree, you may want to put it in a pot now so you won't be disturbing as much root as you will if you wait. it can't live in a glass of water very long. if you just want to see if you can sprout one, well, you did & the leaves will be along shortly. lee
Way cool. Thank you for the info.
I posted this last night but never seen it come through.
Nash
Way cool! Thank you for the info.
Nash
enigma wrote:

enigma Wrote:

Hi Nash,
Here's some info you should find helpful. http://tinyurl.com/4zly4
New
-- Newt
Thanks :) I am going to try where you put the seed in dirt right off the bat and see what happens then.
Nash
Newt wrote:

I'm currently trying the same thing... how long did it take for your avocado pit to strat growing a root?
Jacqui

I started it about 4 weeks ago. Let me know how yours turns out.
Nash
axemanchris wrote:

avocado