sprinkler pop-up height?

I'm currently about to have a sprinkler system installed and need some recommendations. First, what height should I use for the pop-ups? My installer said he generally uses 4" pop-ups, but I'm concerned because others have told me to go with 9" because the 6" are too short and end up getting blocked by tall grass. However, my installer said he likes 4" because they don't lose as much water to the air/wind being closer to the ground.

Also, what brand is good, both for the sprinklers and the timer? I'm looking at rainbird or toro, but basically he would be willing to install any brand of timer/sprinkler I'm sure if I tell him to, or if I purchase the supplies he needs.

Thanks, Dustin

Reply to
Dustin D.

I keep my grass fairly tall, but mow frequently, and have no problems with the 4 inch popups. I think people who have trouble with tall grass probably are not mowing frequently enough.

I have rainbird and am happy with them, but I imagine other brands are also good. My concern is with the grade. The manufacturers all make a very low grade product for selling at the big box stores, and a much better grade that is sold through irrigation supply houses. I would only use an installer that gets his components from an irrigation supply house, and he can probably get them at a discount. I had one rotary popup head act up, and I knew I had seen rainbird at Home Depot, but when I went there to get a replacement, their inventory was inconsistent, and the head they had was plainly less sturdy than the one I was replacing; I asked about the inventory, and they said they were discontinuing rainbird to go with another brand. I ended up going to the rainbird website and found an irrigation supply house where they had knowledgeable people, the superior components, and prices that were not much more than for the stuff at Home Depot.

I would suggest you have the > I'm currently about to have a sprinkler system installed and need some

Reply to
William Brown