Spring Hill experience?

Page 1 of 2
Hi, Has anyone here had any experience with Spring Hill? I remember years ago, people being ripped off by Michigan Bulb. Looking through the SH catalog, the prices seem to be *really* low, and the saying "If something seems to be too good to be true, it usually is." keeps running through my mind! I would appreciate any info, pro or con that anyone can give. Thanks! Lee Ann

they are the same company as Michigan Bulb. stay far away!
lee
--
"Fascism would be better described as corporatism,
since it is marriage between the state and business"
enigma wrote:

I have to agree with Lee. Most of the stuff they sell is very low quality and their "lifetime replacement" is a big lie.
The same company that owns Michigan Bulb and Spring Hill also own Gurney's, Henry Field's, Breck's, Garden's Alive and a couple of others that I can't think of at this moment. AVOID THEM ALL!
--
Bill R. (Ohio Valley, U.S.A)

Gardening for over 40 years

well, if the 'lifetime replacement' means the lifetime of the plant, which invariably arrives dead... they don't guarantee dead plants, you see :p lee
--
war is peace
freedom is slavery

so who DO you use for mail order?
readandpostrosie wrote:

I've had good experiences with www.kartuz.com and www.logees.com
check out www.davesgarden.com - they have a tracking/reporting system on mailorder plant companies.
Carl
--
to reply, change ( .not) to ( .net)

readandpostrosie wrote:

I have done business with the following vendors and have been very happy with their plants, seeds, bulbs and service: Park's, Thompson & Morgan (for seeds), Wayside Gardens, White Flower Farm, John Scheepers, and Van Engelen (the last two are especially good places to buy bulbs).
--
Bill R. (Ohio Valley, U.S.A)

Gardening for over 40 years
what about BURPEE'S?
--

"Bill R" <no_weeds snipped-for-privacy@iglou.com> wrote in message
news:4499df4c$1 snipped-for-privacy@news.iglou.com...
nope.

readandpostrosie wrote:

Oops! Sorry, I forgot them. Their plants, seeds and service are VERY good.
--
Bill R. (Ohio Valley, U.S.A)

Gardening for over 40 years

for seeds they're fine. i haven't bought plants from them. lee
--
war is peace
freedom is slavery

oh, yes.............jungs! thanks!
--

< snipped-for-privacy@wi.rr.xx.com> wrote in message
news: snipped-for-privacy@news-server.wi.rr.com...

Bill, Thanks for the verification. I thought I remembered SH and Michigan as being the same, but didn't know about Henry Fields, Gurney's and Brecks. Thanks for the heads up. What do you, or anyone else in the group know about Kelly Nurseries? I received an envelope of "incredible" deals from SH and a catalog from Kelly's the same day. Thanks again, Lee Ann
Rick & LeeAnn wrote:

Lee Ann,
I haven't done business with Kelly (or even received their catalog). Maybe some of the other readers can comment on them.
--
Bill R. (Ohio Valley, U.S.A)

Gardening for over 40 years
Yes I agree with the others. Stay far away from them. Check out the watchdog on mail order nurseries at www.davesgarden.com. Elaine

thanks elaine! great site!
--

"Elaine" <elaine snipped-for-privacy@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
news:tVbmg.21867$ snipped-for-privacy@bignews3.bellsouth.net...

you got it right.

Rick & LeeAnn wrote:

I've read the negative online reports about Spring Hill. I ordered from them once, two years ago, before I learned I could buy all the perennials I needed locally.
Eight of the 11 plants I ordered arrived in beautiful shape and are now growing happily in my garden. Their packaging was MUCH better than that of another mail order plant source often recommended here.
The three miniature "cascade roses" I ordered from them were backordered and when they finally arrived were in very poor shape. Two were dried up and dead, the third had one little three inch bit that was still alive. I phoned Spring Hill and they immediately refunded me the money for the roses. I put the damaged rose in the ground not expecting much. It didn't do much that year, but now it looks like the picture in the catalog. I just wish I had three instead of the one!
If you don't have locally owned nurseries with a good choice of perennials, the Spring Hill spring catalog with the deep discount is probably worth experimenting with. But if possible, it's better to buy locally where you can choose the plant in person.
--Jenny