Spring Bulbs

I have a small lawn, faces due east, in Ottawa Canada. My lawn is one of the last for the snow to melt from and really only gets morning sun. Do I have any chance growning tulips, daffodils, and crocuses?

Also, can I plant these in pots in my backyard over the winter or do they need to be planted in the ground.

Thanks

Reply to
trayn

One of the problems of growing tulips in a cold climate such as that of Ottawa is losing snow cover too early in the spring, often on the south side of buildings, with premature emergence of top growth which can be damaged by late frosts.

Your slow melt on the east side will keep your tulips protected until later in the spring with less risk of coming up too early during a warm spell.

Plant tulips in the ground immediately, not in pots, but right in the ground. They need to get their roots established before penetrating frost halts all growth for this year.

Daffodils and crocuses are less hardy and you might seek advice from a neighbour about the best game plan.

Paracelsus

Reply to
Paracelsus