Spray Lacebugs Now in Zone 7?

I live in Raleigh, NC (Zone 7) and noted in late summer/early fall that I had a lacebug infestation on some azaleas I planted earlier in the spring. My question is will it be effective to spray them now in winter or do I need to wait until spring? I just don't know if winter kills them or makes them go dormant where they wouldn't be affected by treatment. Thanks for any advice.

Reply to
Berob

In article , berob99 @hotmail.com says... :) My question is will it be effective to spray them now in winter or do I need :) to wait until spring? I just don't know if winter kills them or makes them :) go dormant where they wouldn't be affected by treatment. Thanks for any :) advice. :) :) The insecticide treatment would be more effective in the Spring. Before treating though, inspect the plants to make sure their predators aren't out in full force or that their eggs haven't already been parasitized which is sometimes the case after a previous infestation.

Reply to
Lar

Whitish specks on the upper surface of leaves and dark spots varnish-like on the bottom are symptoms of rhododendron lace bugs . They are more prevalent on certain varieties and on plants grown in sunny areas. When damage first appears, it may be controlled by any of a number of contact insecticides. Care must be taken to spray the lower surfaces of the leaves where the lace bugs live.

NCSU recommends: Spray underside of leaves with insectidal soap or summer hort oil. Late April and mid August are best times for control.  Repeated applications of some insecticides may be needed to control lace bugs effectively. Make the first application as soon as nymphs appear in the spring. Follow with a second application 7 to 10 days later if needed. Repeat as needed at monthly intervals. Make sure the undersides of the leaves are covered.

Another option is to move the plant to a shadier location.

For more information visit:

Stephen M. Henning