Spots on bark of elm tree and dogwood tree

I have a 5 year old elm tree and a 3 year old kornus cousa dogwood tree. They both have almost moss like spots on the lower bark. They are grey to white in color. They both haven't grown much. The dogwood has wilting leaves with burnlike edges. It does not look like the common dogwood disease. The dogwood only had about 10 flowers this season. We don't have the best soil but I don't know what to add. I also don't know if these spots are causing the problems on the dogwood or if it is unrelated or not even a problem at all.

Any help would be appreciated.

Reply to
Janice

Can you post a picture to a.b.p.g.? Where are you? Etc...more details.

Reply to
Mike LaMana

The "mossy spots" are lichens, which are fungi that live on the trunks of trees, rocks, logs, etc... They dont affect the tree in any way shape or form, and are actually an indicator of good air quality. If the dogwood is located in full sun, that is probably causing the scortched, wilted leaves. Your dogwood is still very young and can take a few years before it really has a good show of flowers. Newly planted trees can also take a few years before they really start to grow, they need time to establish a large enough root system. Dont overlook something as simple as water requirments :)

Toad

Reply to
Marley1372