Splitting paeonies

Hi, I have access to a large bed of Paeonies that have not been touched for years , I need to fill up some beds elsewhere in the garden and need some advice on division and success rate . My plan of attack would be with a mattock ,as the ground is extremely hard,possibly halving them and then replanting in november, Any advice would be appreciated. Mike.
dawson snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Attack and be ruthless. Dip in bleach if so inclined (Iris bore may not be relevant.) but plant the pieces in a prepared location. A hole will do. They will thank you for it. Line up the task and do it in a reasonably prompt manner.
Bill
--
Garden Shade Zone 5 S Jersey USA in a Japanese Jungle Manner.39.6376 -75.0208

They're pretty straightforward to divide. Pay attention to your planting depth -- too deep and they won't bloom. I prefer to keep 5-10 eyes per division -- 3 is absolute minimum.

Water the ground deeply both in the old and new spots a day or so ahead of time. Forget the mattock, just use a spade and a sharp knife to divide them. Typically, peonies are dug in late August or early September. Where are you? That may influence timing.
http://www.paeonia.com/html/about_peonies/propagation.htm