Splitting paeonies

Hi, I have access to a large bed of Paeonies that have not been touched for years , I need to fill up some beds elsewhere in the garden and need some advice on division and success rate . My plan of attack would be with a mattock ,as the ground is extremely hard,possibly halving them and then replanting in november, Any advice would be appreciated. Mike.

Reply to
dawson_707

Attack and be ruthless. Dip in bleach if so inclined (Iris bore may not be relevant.) but plant the pieces in a prepared location. A hole will do. They will thank you for it. Line up the task and do it in a reasonably prompt manner.

Bill

Reply to
William Wagner

They're pretty straightforward to divide. Pay attention to your planting depth -- too deep and they won't bloom. I prefer to keep

5-10 eyes per division -- 3 is absolute minimum.

Water the ground deeply both in the old and new spots a day or so ahead of time. Forget the mattock, just use a spade and a sharp knife to divide them. Typically, peonies are dug in late August or early September. Where are you? That may influence timing.

Kay Lancaster