Splitting Daylillies

My standard ditch lillies are in full bloom right now, and, as usual the other variety I have (more of a deep red fading into orange) which are a bit shorter and have slightly finer leaves are exactly one step behind.

About 8 years ago I planted 20 "pockets" along my backyard fence with about a dozen of these lillies in each. Now there's about 100-120 plants in each pocket. Since I have time off now, I'm forced to do the splitting I had hoped I could put off until after the bloom.

I'll re-plant about 20 back again into each of their original places, like I originally did 8 years ago with loads of rich pure homemade leaf compost. I was wondering if I should hack the replanted plants back down to the ground, leaves flower stalks and all, or simply allow them to re-establish.

TIA

Reply to
HA HA Budys Here

I would wait until after they are done blooming. Cut them back to 8" to

12". Then dig them, divide them, and plant back the ones you want. Compost the rest or give them to anyone that wants them near you. You might want to keep them watered regularly for a few weeks after you replant them.

Bobby Baxter Happy Moose Gardens

Bobby Baxter

I wish I could wait, but this is the only opportunity I have so they're going to have to just deal with it. I know this isn't going to kill them, just perhaps stunt their blooming.

As far as "or give them to anyone that wants them near you," I've run out of takers... LOL - If daylily propogation was a crime I'd be doing 25 to life. It's gotten to the point where when people see me coming with plants they bring their children and pets into the house and pretend they're not home.

Reply to
HA HA Budys Here

People will buy damn near anything on Ebay.

Reply to
Vox Humana

Actually, part of my pressing "need" other than timing is that I have a boardwalk area in my backyard which remains in full shade until late spring when the sun is higher in the sky. Perrenials like Black-eyed Susan didn't survive and neither did some more shade-tolerants, so I've decided to locate these "nicer" variety of daylilly there.

I just finished planting about 20 "groups" of 6-8 each with at least 2 buds ready to open. Gave them a shot of Miracle-gro and it's supposed to rain tonight... we'll see what happens. I actually staked them and tied them up so they won't "flop" over - looks pretty rediculious considering the hardiness of the plant but I don't want them falling onto the walkway and looking like a mess.

Reply to
HA HA Budys Here

Wish you were my neighbor lol. I moved this past March and though had my plants in the disclosure I wasn't able to find many of them and had to start over from scratch. I have 2 neighbors about to move, I am thinking of asking if I can raid their beds first. I had to leave behind many of my wildflowers and a good number of my daylilies :::sniff::: Colleen zone 5 CT

Reply to
GrampysGurl

I wouldn't hack them back if any of the growing season remains. The leaves will allow them to make more food. Water generously to help make up for the root loss, inevitable when you divide.

Mike Prager Beaufort, NC (on the coast in zone 8a) (Remove spam traps from email address to reply.)

Reply to
Mike Prager