Split Bark

I have a Flowering Cherry tree whose bark has split the length of the trunk.What might cause this and what can I do about it?
Do nothing. Or if the bark has ragged parts trim them to be smooth with a sharp knife.

Small trees are sometimes damaged by a sudden cold snap that causes them to crack.

In the spring the sap starts rising in the trunk just before the buds swell and continues to rise until the flowers and leaves are fully open. If the trunk freezes while the sap is rising, the sap expands and pops a split in the bark.