spirea suckers

We have a long spirea hedge next door running along the side of our fence. It sends out suckers constantly which take a fair bit of time to remove. I was considering burying some sort of barrier, e.g. a wall of slate along the side of the fence to stop the suckers coming through to our garden. Can anyone tell me if this would/could work and how deep would the barrier have to go to stop the suckers coming under the fence. Many thanks
--
wilf

Check out some of the barriers available commercially to contain the spread of bamboo. These are essential thin sheets buried in the ground, wouldn't need to go nearly as deep for spirea as for bamboo, but the cool thing is you don't lose any planting area since the barrier is very thin. Almost anything you just lay on top of the soil the spirea will find its way under or through, whereas sinking a deep concrete barrier is overkill and would alkalinize the soil in the process.
-paghat the ratgirl
--
visit my temperate gardening website:
http://www.paghat.com

You could use a barrier or you could walk the line with a sharp spade a couple times a year. If you use a barrier I doubt anything deeper than a foot is needed, leave a couple inches proud of the ground and angled away from the spirea to force any escapees up and into sight instead of down and under the barrier.
Thank you very much, that was most helpful
--
wilf