Spindly Apricots

Hi there.

I'm growing Apricots from seed in France and now have 8 saplings about

2 ft high. They are very spindly and need support. Should I nip out the growing tip to encourage bushing?
Reply to
vomog

No and No... they don't need support, they will develop a stronger root system without support... and leave them to grow and soon they will begin to branch. It's much too soon to think about pruning. You're growing trees, not shrubs.

Reply to
Brooklyn1

Are they getting enough sun? Spindly often applied to plants that are not getting enough sun.

HB

Reply to
Higgs Boson

I've been growing them in a greenhouse. It's been very warm this spring, and certainly not lacking sun. Having had great luck with Peach from seed, I assumed the same for Apricots.

Reply to
vomog

Stone fruit trees don't do very well in a greenhouse, they become stunted. In order to properly develop these trees need to be exposed to the elements, to temperature fluctuations and wind - without movement the root system won't attain full form, without contraction/expansion from alternating temperature neither will the above ground portion develop a strong structure. And those are not saplings... get those seedlings outdoors.

Tree Stages

  1. Seed
  2. Seedling: the above-ground part of the embryo that sprouts from the seed
  3. Sapling: After the seedling reaches 1 m tall, and until it reaches
7 cm in stem diameter
  1. Pole: young trees from 7?30 cm diameter
  2. Mature tree: over 30 cm diameter, reproductive years begin
  3. Old tree: dominate old growth forest; height growth slows greatly, with majority of productivity in seed production
  4. Overmature: dieback and decay become common
  5. Snag: standing dead wood
  6. Log/debris: fallen dead wood
Reply to
Brooklyn1