~Spider Plant TOOOOOO BIG!

An email from my daughter:
I have a spider plant in my office that I have had since college. Needless to say, she (her name is Charlotte) is huge! I repotted her in a 14 inch "super pot" about 4 years ago, hoping to never repot her again.
Well, Charlotte's leaves are turning yellow, and the roots are coming out the bottom. I need to repot her again? Is there any way to stop a plant from growing? I don't want her to grow any bigger, but don't want her to die if I don't repot her.
If I repot her, the pot will be too big for my office. If I bring her home, Sienna (her cat) will chew her up!
What should she do?
Take her out of the pot and cut her roots back about one third. then repot in same container with new soil. I have done this with many of my large plants.
Bonnie

Needless to

"super
the
if I

home,
All you have to do is cut back the roots and repot.This is how you do bonsai trees.

Needless to

"super
the
if I

home,
The spider plant is named "Charlotte"?
Who is your daughter then, "Baby Jane"?
I know. She got the name from the lame children's story about a spider. How clever....NOT!
Repot the darn thing already. Why did you wait so long?
BTW, the plant is really a hermaphrodite with flowers with both male and female organs.
Maybe she should call it RuPaul instead?!!!

Needless to

"super
the
if I

home,

You run around referring to yourself as a cactus, and you got the b@11$ to criticize someone for naming a plant???
You tell 'em, Uncle Tom!!!
My e-name is not just any cactus, its a manly tall and thick columnar one.
What's your problem, Peewee, are you jealous because all you have is a shrunken tiny peanut cactus?

Are you referring to my Lady's Home Companion?
On Tue, 06 Jan 2004 05:57:13 GMT, "Cereoid-UR12-"
or Rupaul Jankalskii ?
That should be Rupaul Jaszewski, the Las Vegas showboy at New Dork, New Dork!!!!!
Beware of the Swedish meatballs at their buffet. You can't be sure where they've been.

the biggest problems with "cutting off the roots" is that spider plants have those tuberous things that store water and such. I think a division of the plant would be much better. Tell her to take the plant home, knock off all the soil and rinse the plant good to expose what's inside and look for seperate areas she can take a serrated knife and divide. She should get two or three plants out of the one huge one. It will sulk after this but this is easier on the plant than just "cutting off the roots" as those tubers resent whacking. But then, that's just MY opinion. Let me know how it goes for her Tom. madgardener

Needless to

"super
the
if I