SPIDER MITES....HELPP

I have indoor tomato and Chile plants under fluorescents. they are grown in premium pro mix BX.. in 5 gallon containers. I have seen in the soil small white almost clean tiny bugs and on closer inspection they spider mites.. I have never seen the webs on the plants or the soil before until today. I always see them in the soil and on the top of the soil but have yet to find them on the plant. I came down today to find the tops of the soil completely covered in a web from one side of the pot to the other . this is the first time I have seen webbing.. the only thing I did that could have changed things is I used bug-b-gon powder for the first time two days ago.. its

100%diatomatiuos earth.. I covered the tops of the soil in half the crops pots, basically a top dressing of dia-t-m earth to see if this would work.. I let it soak in and then watered it in and then two days later wow,, webs on the surface like a blanket and spider mites on the pots and webs..I think I have made it a inhospitable environment for them to breed in the soil. my humidity is very high right now I am trying to get it down with fans and intake and exhaust but actually I have read that high humidity isn't good for the mites and they don't breed well so maybe this is why there hasn't been a huge scale attack of the plants. I have yet to find them on the plant but always in a soil sample. there is the tail tail signs of leaf sucking white pin dots but never any webbing on the stem or leaf, but I do always have fans on the plants as well they get a good blast of water through a pump mister every night an 1hour after lights out.. can any one tell me what works. I heard dunking roots, soaps, bleach,perithium, sevin dust, sulfur, hydrogen peroxide, I have also heard dispensing a 3ft tank of co2 in the room while its sealed up and the in/out air is off .. can any one help with what worked for them

arachnophobia

Reply to
Mon Chi Chi

I have always had good luck with a little dish soap. Mix a little soapy water and spritz on the plants. It shouldn't hurt the plants.

Meagan

Reply to
Meagan M Eller