Speaking of Prickly Pear Cactus...

Believe it or not we have plenty of prickly pear cactus in West Virginia.
How do you get rid of it? Digging it out is so much work and weed killers simply do not work. The U.S. Agriculture people said to sprinkle it with lime. Ha!! That didn't work either.
I think that no one ever told them that most of the soil where cactus grows is alkaline. Or am I wrong.
But again, how do you get rid of it?
It's tough because any little bit you leave behind will sprout again-- I've seen less-than-intelligent types down on the Outer Banks mowing down small clusters of Prickly Pear thinking that they're eradicating the plant; in fact they're propogating it, as every little chunk of leaf that lands will in turn start rooting and begin another plant. If it were me, I would use a weed torch and/or an herbicide like Brushbgone.
-- David J. Bockman, Fairfax, VA (USDA Hardiness Zone 7) email: snipped-for-privacy@beyondgardening.com http://beyondgardening.com/Albums

grows