Source for Viburnum rufidulum

Page 1 of 2
I'd like to add one or more specimens of Viburnum rufidulum (southern blackhaw) to our landscape. Can't find it locally. Can anyone recommend a source?
Mike
What's locally?
--
Mike LaMana, MS
Heartwood Consulting Services, LLC
Mike LaMana wrote:

Oops, sorry! Locally is Carteret County, NC, on the coast about 4 hours SE of Raleigh; about 2 hours NE of Wilmington.
Mike Prager Beaufort, NC (on the coast in zone 8a) (Remove spam traps from email address to reply.)
Rusty Blackhaw Viburnum is one heck of a tall shrub/small tree and is difficult to find. If you do find some, buy several!
http://www.frankforttrees.org/Species.asp?SpeciesID=1142 shows it natural historical range.
jk
Mike Prager wrote:

--

Celestial Habitats by J. Kolenovsky
look under "Nanny-berry" <g> madgardener
Rusty Blackhaw Viburnum is one heck of a tall shrub/small tree and is difficult to find. If you do find some, buy several!
http://www.frankforttrees.org/Species.asp?SpeciesID 42 shows it natural historical range.
jk
Mike Prager wrote:

--
Celestial Habitats by J. Kolenovsky
Actually these are fairly commonly available in my experience, especially from the mid-Atlantic region growers.
Mike LaMana, MS
Heartwood Consulting Services, LLC
Mike LaMana wrote:

Thanks. Can you recommend a grower that sells at retail by mail order?
Mike Prager Beaufort, NC (on the coast in zone 8a) (Remove spam traps from email address to reply.)
www.arborvillagellc.com
IntarsiaCo wrote:

Thanks!
Mike Prager Beaufort, NC (on the coast in zone 8a) (Remove spam traps from email address to reply.)
They just e-mailed me this:
We're out of the plant you're requesting. We've been growing the cultivar, Royal Guard and it's not been that easy to propagate. Our sales are only in pots and we don't sell flats. Good luck in your search. Susie Rawdon Arborvillage
IntarsiaCo wrote:

--

Celestial Habitats by J. Kolenovsky
madgardener wrote:

Thx for the reply. However, "nannyberry" to me is V. lentago, a more northern species. An attractive one to be sure (from the pictures I've seen), but not well suited to our area because of excessive heat and humidity here and the plant's susceptibility to mildew.
Mike Prager Beaufort, NC (on the coast in zone 8a) (Remove spam traps from email address to reply.)
That's a problem with common names.
Mike Prager wrote:

--

Celestial Habitats by J. Kolenovsky
On Sat, 01 May 2004 17:11:28 GMT, Mike Prager

If you find a source for it anywhere, please do let me know. I have been looking for a mother plant for years. I would like to propagate it because I can sell hundreds of gallon plants every year if I can perfect propagation. It's not an easy one to do, but I'm willing to tinker around to get it going.
thanks, Victoria
escapee wrote:

The only source I've founds so far is this one:
http://www.mailordernatives.com /
which apparently ships bare-root plants during the winter. Whether you could get one large enough to suit your needs, I don't know.
Good luck!
Mike
Mike Prager Beaufort, NC (on the coast in zone 8a) (Remove spam traps from email address to reply.)
On Sun, 02 May 2004 16:49:47 GMT, Mike Prager

Thanks Mike. I will see if I can buy some bare root next winter and get my own stock plants going. I would love to get this out into the trade. It is especially lovely for us in this part of Texas because it is native and adapted to a large array of our soils in this region of TX.
Victoria
Victoria wrote:

V - If you email me (so I have your address), I'll let you know if I find other sources for this.
Judging from pictures & what's written about this species, it's a great plant. With our dogwoods along the coast having succumbed to anthracnose, drought, and borers, a good small flowering tree is needed. I'm also going to try Vitex agnus-castus, which I've seen growing and flowering around here in part shade (though the books say SUN: I get more skeptical all the time).
Mike Prager Beaufort, NC (on the coast in zone 8a) (Remove spam traps from email address to reply.)
On Mon, 03 May 2004 02:18:50 GMT, Mike Prager

I have a huge Vitex agnus-castus 'Carolina Blue.' It is about 12 feet tall now and oh, 20 feet wide. It is about 5 years old and started with a four inch pot of it Now I have them germinating all over the place. I dig them out in the fall and like today at the garden club, have them to swap. It's a beautiful plant.
I will shoot you an email.
victoria
escapee wrote:

Indeed, that's the one I'm looking for! I prefer a more blue tinge to the grayish purple more commonly found. However, the locals seem to have just the species.
Mike
Mike Prager Beaufort, NC (on the coast in zone 8a) (Remove spam traps from email address to reply.)
I have the one with the cream colored blossoms. I am waiting to see how badly it winter killed. Here in zone 6 we had a zone 5 winter. 42N
On Tue, 04 May 2004 00:03:03 GMT, Mike Prager

If you are willing to wait till the fall I can mail you a nice sized specimen. I only ask you pay the shipping. I have several out there needing to be dug up. I didn't get the chance this spring, but they transplant well if removed at the proper time. It can also give me an opportunity to see the color of the bloom to make sure you get what you want. I have the species in the yard too, but in my experience, the plants come true at the base of the mother plant.
Let me know.
Victoria