Something is eating my Datura

The leaves of my datura are being eaten, leaving the veins untouched. I have examned the plant and cannot see any of the usual pests (spider mite, mealy bugs, aphids or caterpillars). I suspect earwigs but would like some help please.

Reply to
DurhamRanger

Place a pan or trash can lid of soapy water beneath the plant, the culprit will fall in and you can begin to decide, rule out aphids, spider mites and mealies because they eat by piercing/sucking. Think Japanese beetle/ caterpillar or other CHEWING insects.

Reply to
beecrofter

Tomato or tobacco horn worms are eating the folilage. They turn into magnificent hawk moths which have a six inch wingspan and pollinate your plants. Please just let them be. They are important insects.

you must kill them, or get rid of them, you can gently remove the leaf they are on and put them somewhere else in the garden or yard. I don't kill them and never will. I earn money producing datura and brugmansia so have them frequently. I remove them and put them on something else in the yard. They eat foliage of solanacea aka nightshade family.

Reply to
Jangchub

> If you must kill them, or get rid of them, you can gently remove the

Reply to
Wuensch, Karl L.

now it would take all summer to get through the entire collection. For some reason, probably too hot at night, my Brugmansia's are having foliage problems, some stunted, some yellowing, etc. I do have to repot them, but that is a major project seeing most are in no less than 30 gallon tubs.

Reply to
Jangchub

For many years I have allowed Jimson Weed to grow here and there, but I have not had another Datura until this year. My son got into seed exchanging last year, and got some "moon flower" seeds that did not look like what he expected (he expected Ipomoea alba). He started one and gave it to me as a "mystery plant." The young plant looked similar to an eggplant to me, so I put it out in the garden at the end of a row of eggplants. Adjacent was a double row of green beans. While picking beans I brushed up against the moon flower and recognized the (unpleasant to me) odor of Jimson weed. An Internet search confirmed that the plant is Datura inoxia. Next year I shall place one closer to the house, where I can enjoy the enormous nocturnal blossoms with ease.

So far I have not seen a single tobacco/tomato hornworm here. Very curious. On a couple of occasions I thought I saw the adult, but then it turned out to be a hummingbird.

I grow my Brugmansia alongside the branch that runs through my lot. The only problem I have had with them is that they are so late to bloom, close to the time we get killing frost here in eastern North Carolina, that I have little time to enjoy them. =============================================================================== "Jangchub" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Reply to
Wuensch, Karl L.