Some eagle pics (OT)

These pics are drifting away from gardening but those who like wild things will enjoy anyway.

I have a neighbour who swears one of these flew by and dropped a small (dead) white dog. I have another neighbour who has small (live) white dogs who won't let them out in the paddock in daylight alone for fear of them being whisked away. I suppose it is possible.

image has not been manipulated, they can actually turn their head backwards.

are other eagle shots in the album

David

Reply to
David Hare-Scott

I occasionally hear eagles crying. I look up and see them circling high in the sky. The most important nesting area for golden eagles in western U.S. is about 2 miles east of my house.

As for small pets, we also have coyotes, owls, and hawks. Even smaller pets might be taken by one of the many ravens in our community or by rattle snakes that sometimes slither out of the hills.

Reply to
David E. Ross

We have two Bald Eagles around here. One of them landed on our boat house but of course I wasn't fast enough to snap a photo. I grew up in the era that we would never see them again so it is really cool to me to have them around MJ

Reply to
mj

Hope you're giving credit to the dedicated environmental groups that fought a long battle to bring them back! Scope out which one(s) you'prefer to support and send them a check, be it ever so small.

HB

Reply to
Higgs Boson

***Be happy to send you another pet, not-so-small, namely the raccoon that has been driving me nuts, coming in the cat door at night and messing with cat's food. I have to block up the cat door and rig a cat route from my bedroom window!! Grrrr!!!

HB

Reply to
Higgs Boson

We don't need to do that as the wedgetail is thriving, I have seen four pairs at once above my place. Of all the foreign species our forebears introduced perhaps the most absurd and destructive was the rabbit. Just to show that the law of unintended consequences is not always negative, eagles just loooove rabbit. When the rabbit calici virus was introduced there were concerns that it would reduce the eagle population. Well the virus didn't really work and the rabbits and eagles still thrive.

David

David

Reply to
David Hare-Scott

The virus worked very well here David. Our rabbit numbers were building up so we contacted outr local RLPB and they said that if we wanted to use the virus we had to feed the bunnies for a while and once the bunnies got used to being fed and exected it, we could pick up a vial of the virus and then put it onto their food. We've had no more bunnie prolems since.

Reply to
Farm1

Yes the response seems to be very variable. I suspect that local conditions make a difference. I haven't researched the matter as bunnies are not a big problem here.

David

Reply to
David Hare-Scott

Are you watching the Decorah eagles? The young ones are now flapping their wings and bouncing about.

Geopelia