Soil ph Change for Weed Control?

Moss and weeds of any and every description are almost in total control.
I, like many others, place herbacides down the list of remedies. I'm aware that many plants have soil ph preferences. I'm considering a radical change in soil ph. I've nothing to loose.
Have any any experience with such a technique? My yard is in NW Oregon. Dan

I agree with the idea, but if you're dealing with multiple species, it might be a stroke of luck to make adjustments that annoys ALL of them. I think I'd focus on ONE variable: Making the pH right the the plants you WANT to grow. That matches the general strategy for the grass vs. weeds battle - help the grass become dominant by providing the best possible support.
lots of things to consider: your pH is naturally acidic and you have shade, else moss would not thrive. I am assuming you want to grow grass instead, and in my lawn (I have similar conditions) I put down much of the wood ash from the wood stove to improve the pH. But in shade I try to be reasonable, grass has no chance, and have slowly made large areas covered with vinca, lily of the valley, woodruff, lamium of all stripes, and aegopodium. I accent them with ferns, hostas, daylily, bloodroot, solomon's seal and forsythia.
If you want to grow flowerbeds, and you have part shade, it depends on how well drained your soil is. I have sandy soil, and tulips, daffodils, asian lilies, dianthus and peonies grow very well indeed.
RE:simy1 wrote:

I've moss through-out; more the more shade. The shade stays, the sour soil goes. Which sweetener would you recommend; calcium carbonate, perhaps sodium carbonate or the bicarbonate applied with a hose sprayer, or ? I hope to shift the soil ph well into an alkaline condition within a few weeks. Dan