Soil makes you happy!

Soil is not dead or alive independant of other conditions. Everything on the planets and universe are dependant upon cause and conditions. Thus, there certainly is a word for things both living and dead and Buddha Shakyamuni figured it out under the Bodhi tree in India and that word is "emptiness."

Reply to
Jangchub

There is nothing empty about the wonderful ecological stages of trees. There is a difference between wood anatomy and tree anatomy. What do you mean that wood and soil are empty?

there is always something living in and around soil as well as wood in a natural setting. The only emptiness is when humans deplete the soil or pollute the landfills with wood which would have otherwise created new soil. Or when they try to kill all the associates of trees with kill-all chemicals. Then it is empty, maybe.

Reply to
symplastless

You need to read your dictionary and learn the difference between elements and chemicals.

Beware a so called tree biologist that has never studied biology.

Reply to
D. Staples

Not me. I have a degree in chemicals. It's only a B.S. (here's a straight line if you want it) but what is yours?

Reply to
Billy

Physics!

Reply to
Cheryl Isaak

Billy expounded:

You should try that. You should also get it through you thick skull that you have no idea who I am or what I think. Then again, trolls don't think, they just blather on with their own agenda.

Reply to
Ann

We are on completely different tracks in life, I'm relatively sure. No object OR subject has, in and of itself, it's own nature. Everything is dependant on everything else. Since you can never trace anything completely back to the beginning, there is no beginning so the chicken or the egg is the best case proving this.

Emptiness does not mean it doesn't exist. It exists in convention, but in and of itself does not have tree-ness on its own. We label it tree and associate all else involved. We can never trace back to the first one.

That's what I mean by emptiness. It goes beyond your explanation.

Reply to
Jangchub

What difference does it make? I will match your BS with my first BS. Now, tell me about John's education, that allows him to be a tree biologist. What ever that is.

OH, that's right, your just in it for the troll.

Reply to
D. Staples

Don keep talking about degrees. Leave tree talk to people that have a little understanding of them. Your knowledge should get you a job on Bush's farm in Texas. He loves hiring and putting people in positions that they know nothing about.

Other than that, CHOW!

Reply to
symplastless

That's "ciao", scholar boy.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Do you mean CIAO?

Reply to
Jangchub

One of the heavies;-)

I wonder if Scott has any popcorn left? well, if you remember kids, this all started because the witch from Mass. was contradicting the books that John (aka symplastless) had read that only referred to the mineral composition of soil. "You must have read the wrong books", Ann wrote to John (Nov.17,3:58). This was prefaced by John having written that the text books that he had read referred to soil as inert elements (not in the elemental sense) and he then posted a definition of "soil" from Webster online 1: firm land : earth2 a: the upper layer of earth that may be dug or plowed and in which plants grow b: the superficial unconsolidated and usually weathered part of the mantle of a planet and especially of the earth . . . yada, yada, yada. John gave the accepted definition of soil. Where upon, our hapless hero, the "Troll" from California, thinking that John was under attack again from the "Flanged Headed" forester from god knows where. Here our "Hero" (to err is human, to forgive is divine, to break is to buy) resolutely puts his foot on a banana peel and counsels John to avoid getting into an "authorities war with the "Flange Headed" forester and, with "great" trepidation, agrees with the evil, Bush supporting witch of Mass. that reading "Teaming with Microbes" (your getting your money's worth Jeff) would be a good idea. Go figure.

This is where the story of the "Tar Baby" becomes instructive. (The more you mess with it, the worse it gets.) I have tried to avoid conversation with the witch but she seems set on tracking me down. In trying to apologize to the putative lady, she accuses me of (1) being a troll, (2) being obsessed, (3) having an agenda, and she uses vulgar language ("WTF"). (1) Troll is in the eye of the beholder. She could also be accused of trollism for foisting her personal opinions on others. (2) Obsessed? About Bush? Everyone should be as he personally personifies evil. Subjecting Americans, Iraqis, and Afghanis to the nightmare of war for his personal gain. Evil! Oh. I voted for Goldwater before he and George McGovern became good friends. (3) I have an agenda? My only agenda is what is going to be for dinner tonight.

That's all I got to say on the subject.

Scott, you got any beer to go with the pop corn?

The Sun is below the tree line on my hill (where it will stay until mid-January) and only the top of the trellis gets any Sun now which accounts for the struggling zuchetta. I'm still getting a few tomatoes. They are mostly the Stupice that started our belated season. Still getting a few lemon cucumbers and the shivering peppers have produced a little bit more. The "hounds from hell" took out about half of my lettuce garden and the salad that I can stand least, arugula, is the most successful. I have started covering it with newspaper before I amend the soil. I'll be looking over my stock of seeds and consider what worked well for us over the long week-end coming up.

Reply to
Billy

So now we are giving Italian lessons? Buenos knockers Joe. Not your's but in general;-)

Reply to
Billy

Mean he's not inviting all of us to Thanksgiving dinner?

Cheryl Isaak

Billy expounded:

Or any story about lying.

Yes, you should know, because no matter how much you try to twist the story, anyone can see who is 'putative' here in this thread.

No you haven't, you've done nothing but insult and provoke, like any good troll.

You are the one who started it with the namecalling.

Never once have you ever tried to apologize to me, troll, which is obvious throughout this thread.

If the shoe fits, wear it.

Which you are, with draging your politicas into everything.

See (2) above

Waa! She used a dirty word! And trolls never do that!

Are you out of your mind? You are the one constantly and continually foisting your politics in all of your posts. They have nothing to do with the definition of soil. .

Who cares? This thread was started by me about the joys of working the soil. Your obsessions are what sent the thread spiralling to this. John and I had a discussion and are over it. You're just flailing around trying to continue to fan flames.

Now why don't you get the life you claim to have. So far it doesn't sound like you have anything at all buttrolling in garden newsgroups.

Reply to
Ann

I don't eat animals anyway.

Reply to
Jangchub

But I bet you'd devour my roasted root veggies! And my uncle makes the best squash you've ever had! =

Cheryl Isaak

One of my favorite things are plain beets, cubed small, coated in olive oil and garlic powder and roasted. Same for carrots, only those I roast in a pan with shallots till they carmelize.

One other favorite is acorn squash, halved and drizzled with olive oil, but also some turbinado sugar or maple syrup (the real stuff, not Aunt Jamima).

Reply to
Jangchub

Try some sweet potatoes roasted with olive oil (butter) and rosemary until totally brown on the outside and so sweet.

Ever try maple sugar on your squash???

Reply to
Cheryl Isaak

Oh definintely sweet pots. Love them and they are a very good sorce of myriad minerals and vitamin A.

Yes, I always use maple syrup on squash. I said that in the above statement. I you referring to summer squash? Then no, I carmelize shallots for zukes and yellow squash. Perfect with some sea salt and a beautiful, fluffy, soft bed of jasmine rice. I love sticky rice.

Reply to
Jangchub