Soil makes you happy!

Page 1 of 2
The Winter 2007-2008 issue of Organic Gardening (a ghost of what it used to be, unfortunately) has a blurb titled "Soil Makes You Happy":
Quote Proof that dirty fingers lead to clean minds. Findings: A common soil bacterium, Mycobacterium vaccae, is an effective vaccine for leprosy. Researches began to evaluate its value in treating asthma, tuberculosis, and cancer. When cancer patients treated with M. vaccae reported feeling inexplicably happier, neuroscientist Christopher Lowry, PhD., of the U.K.'s University of Bristol injected mice with the bacterium, then examined their brains. The mice's immune systems were stimulated, causing brain cells to release serotonin, a mood-altering, pleasure-inducing hormone. Our Advice: Dig in! Be happy!
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts

It is flowering, The cut duckweed at the roadside, In the evening rain. - Buson (1716-1784)
--

Billy

Bush & Cheney, Behind Bars

You must read the wrong books, I've never, ever read that soil is dead! Try Teaming with Microbes, to start, or any good book on composting, etc. .
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts
Webster online 1: firm land : earth2 a: the upper layer of earth that may be dug or plowed and in which plants grow b: the superficial unconsolidated and usually weathered part of the mantle of a planet and especially of the earth3: country, land <our native soil>4: the agricultural life or calling5: a medium in which something takes hold and develops
Nothing about living organisms. BTW, soil is dead and alive both. A duality just as trees are alive and dead both. We have no word for a substance that is both living and dead - wood, soil.
--
Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.

John, I know that you are just responding to an attack. Don't fall into the same hole as Clinton when he used the dictionary to define sex (legally I agreed with him on this but condemn him for his stance on East Timore and Bosnia). Following the same logic we are just a couple of dollars worth of inanimate chemicals, whose form, matrix if you will, conjures up the phenomenon of life. As much as it grieves me to agree with the Bush supporting witch from Massachusetts, read "Teaming with Microbes". Some of it is a little lame but by and large it is a good book. This news group isn't rec.hydroponics. Gardening implies fecund soil, that can nurture phototrophic creatures. Life begets life.
Peace
--

Billy

Bush & Cheney, Behind Bars

WTF are you talking about? I am not attacking anyone. But, as usual, you are. Troll.

Obsessed troll.

You are so off the mark it isn't funny, but that's your agenda isn't it, troll?

Which is all I was saying to him in the first place, without the vitriolic attacks and political bullshit. Really, troll, people can and do thing of things other than what you think of.
What a sad little man you are.
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts

Thanks, Ann, for the mention of Teaming WIth Microbes: A Gardener's Guide to the Soil Food Web. The reason I wrote it and the reason Timber Press published it, is because so darn few books every talk about what make soil soil. Read most composting books, even, and they dont acknowledge the soil food web. Heck, even most organic gardeners still talk about fertilizing.....when they are actually feeding the microbes who in turn feed the plants. The book is now in its third printing, being translated into French and all essentially within one year of publication. It isn't the writing that has caused this book to be a barn burner.....it is the subject matter...so lacking in the literature....
Thanks again. and may the microbes be with you and your soil where ever you go!
Jeff Lowenfels
In article
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

And may everyones intestinal flora prosper too. Now if we can only give the bovine respect so we can respect ourselves. Health that elusive word that suggests more not less. Not the absence of complaints but the joy of life.
Bill Waxing as I cook a tomato and Onion. Gearing up for family and in one way we dont have time but in another extra hands and mind can do more than dance.
--

S Jersey USA Zone 5 Shade
when they are actually feeding the

Most plants are autotrophs. The ghost flower is a heterotrophs. Trees manufacture their own food and share it with others or associates. The associates do not feed the trees. They (trees) feed themselves. What the microbes do is alter chemical elements in the soil so that they can be absorbed by the plant, most of the time. Elements are absorbed in a water soluble form. Trees only absorb water when the roots are growing. Some, such as the mycorrhizal fungi, infect non-woody roots of most trees forming a composite organ called a mycorrhiza. Greek for root fungus. Mycorrhizae plural, facilitate the absorption process. Root hairs (on trees non-woody roots) which are extensions of a single cell, also help absorb water and elements dissolved in it. There is more but thats enough for now.
--
Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.

Hey! There's no need for language like that here. There might be kids reading these messages.

Ya, so you were calling Don staples a 'Bush supporting witch from Massachusetts'. Ya.
No, you were trying to instigate John into thinking I was attacking him. Anyone with a modicum of reading comprehension can see that.
You are the one with a one-track mind, and a very narrow track it is, too.
My feelings for Bush have nothing to do with this thread, only to do with your own twisted hate-filled mind. Bush-hating has blinded you. Poor little singlle-minded man.
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts

You should try that. You should also get it through you thick skull that you have no idea who I am or what I think. Then again, trolls don't think, they just blather on with their own agenda.
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts
[Following the same logic we are just a couple of dollars worth of inanimate chemicals, whose form, matrix if you will, conjures up the phenomenon of life. ]
By weight we are made up of 98% of the same chemicals as trees. What makes us different is the way the chemicals are connected. (carbon, hydrogen, oxygen, nitrogen, sulfur, and phosphorus) Life is a journey powered by the sun. We are made up of chemicals borrowed from the earth. In death, those chemicals are returned. The theme of life appears to be buildup and breakdown.
--
Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.

All analogies breakdown at some point, but I prefer to think of it as a relay race for survival with the baton of life being passed on to the next participant.
The evidence that comes from rocks is that life was once very simple, by modern standards, but the struggle to survive gave rise to new forms of life that adapted to local conditions for survival. From mass one cell reproduction, to exploiting dry land, to sexual reproduction, to sheer mass in size, to conceptual thinking, it is all about survival, not of the individual or even the species, but life itself.
Reminds me, I need breakfast:-)
--

Billy

Bush & Cheney, Behind Bars
Billy wrote:

And I think I'll go out and turn over a spade of dirt next to the compost pile and see how the fishing worms are doing!! Afraid of the import fish anymore, so maybe I'll try fresh caught this week!
Tom J
symplastless wrote:

You need to read your dictionary and learn the difference between elements and chemicals.
Beware a so called tree biologist that has never studied biology.

Not me. I have a degree in chemicals. It's only a B.S. (here's a straight line if you want it) but what is yours?
--

Billy

Bush & Cheney, Behind Bars
On 11/19/07 12:40 AM, in article snipped-for-privacy@c-61-68-245-199.per.connect.net.au, "Billy"

Physics!

One of the heavies;-)
I wonder if Scott has any popcorn left? well, if you remember kids, this all started because the witch from Mass. was contradicting the books that John (aka symplastless) had read that only referred to the mineral composition of soil. "You must have read the wrong books", Ann wrote to John (Nov.17,3:58). This was prefaced by John having written that the text books that he had read referred to soil as inert elements (not in the elemental sense) and he then posted a definition of "soil" from Webster online 1: firm land : earth2 a: the upper layer of earth that may be dug or plowed and in which plants grow b: the superficial unconsolidated and usually weathered part of the mantle of a planet and especially of the earth . . . yada, yada, yada. John gave the accepted definition of soil. Where upon, our hapless hero, the "Troll" from California, thinking that John was under attack again from the "Flanged Headed" forester from god knows where. Here our "Hero" (to err is human, to forgive is divine, to break is to buy) resolutely puts his foot on a banana peel and counsels John to avoid getting into an "authorities war with the "Flange Headed" forester and, with "great" trepidation, agrees with the evil, Bush supporting witch of Mass. that reading "Teaming with Microbes" (your getting your money's worth Jeff) would be a good idea. Go figure.
This is where the story of the "Tar Baby" becomes instructive. (The more you mess with it, the worse it gets.) I have tried to avoid conversation with the witch but she seems set on tracking me down. In trying to apologize to the putative lady, she accuses me of (1) being a troll, (2) being obsessed, (3) having an agenda, and she uses vulgar language ("WTF"). (1) Troll is in the eye of the beholder. She could also be accused of trollism for foisting her personal opinions on others. (2) Obsessed? About Bush? Everyone should be as he personally personifies evil. Subjecting Americans, Iraqis, and Afghanis to the nightmare of war for his personal gain. Evil! Oh. I voted for Goldwater before he and George McGovern became good friends. (3) I have an agenda? My only agenda is what is going to be for dinner tonight.
That's all I got to say on the subject.
Scott, you got any beer to go with the pop corn?
The Sun is below the tree line on my hill (where it will stay until mid-January) and only the top of the trellis gets any Sun now which accounts for the struggling zuchetta. I'm still getting a few tomatoes. They are mostly the Stupice that started our belated season. Still getting a few lemon cucumbers and the shivering peppers have produced a little bit more. The "hounds from hell" took out about half of my lettuce garden and the salad that I can stand least, arugula, is the most successful. I have started covering it with newspaper before I amend the soil. I'll be looking over my stock of seeds and consider what worked well for us over the long week-end coming up.
--

Billy

Bush & Cheney, Behind Bars