So lonely...

Page 3 of 3

Yeah well........ I wonder why that comment makes me think about the US invasion of Grenada with a population of 100K.

That was a hoot, wasn't it. Joke was that we were liberating a golf course.
It was all about removing a PM whose views differed from ours -- cloaked as a rescue mission for U.S. students studying down ther.
How barefaced can you get?
HB

I would use the term "martyr" instead of hero.

On Tue, 04 Jan 2011 15:50:25 +0000, Nad R wrote:

A bit premature.

Those comments are nonsensical given which organisations are publishing the leaks.

Uh-huh. So now your saying laws don't matter? No habeas corpus? Now we just spout the drivel from the corporate owned news, and hope they told us the truth.
So what proof do you have that Bradley Manning is guilty, and deserving of the death penalty? The government seems to waffle between "sabotage", and "the releases are old news that we know already".
Personally, I find it refreshing to know what really is going on in our government.
--
- Billy
On 01/03/2011 12:29 AM, Billy wrote:

Manning took an oath when he joined the US military, he knew what he was doing was wrong. He was in a job with high level security clearance and knew it was illegal for him to take anything. He deserves to be shot as an example to anyone else who thinks about doing the same thing. His superior officer or officers who allowed him to take a data recorder into his job knew it wasn't allowed and they should be tried and suffer some of the consequences along with Manning.
--
"An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last."
~Winston Churchill

He hasn't been found guilty. What part of that don't you understand?
--
- Billy

Why?
Is that the punishment for the charges he faces? If not, are just you putting in an opinion about the punishment you think Manning should face?

On July 5, Bradley Manning was charged under the Uniform Code of Military Justice for transferring classified data onto his personal computer and communicating national defense information to an unauthorized source between November 19, 2009 and May 27, 2010.
He wasn't charged with aiding an abetting an enemy. Actually, I think he hurt the "enemy", depending, of course, on who we call the "enemy". I don't include Bradley Manning among them.
--
- Billy

Privacy is history. What makes the governments of the world think they should have privacy when no law exist for the privacy concerns of it's citizens. The so called theory of : The governments job to is protect the people? Or is it to help government officials to hide from their crimes.
I will support the governments privacy concerns when I can also legally encode my own communications in which is next to impossible to listen in on. I do not buy the argument "For the protection of its citizens". 9/11 communication interceptions never helped it's citizens.
As for the soldier, he did break the law in which he was hired for and deserves his prison time. However, he should be treated humanely, what ever that is. Is he a martyr, perhaps, the jury is still out.

Jeez, et tu Bruté? The jury is not out, it hasn't been constituted or seated. Manning hasn't been tried except in the minds of those who have prejudged him. Let him have his day in court first, OK?
--
- Billy
On Mon, 03 Jan 2011 13:03:59 +0000, Nad R wrote:

I think it may be a crime to support illegal government activity. Soldiers have a legal and moral right to blow a whistle.

Do you support illegal government activity, Don? Do you support murder and torture of people SUSPECTED to be criminals?
What would you do, if Pakistan killed 10 members of your family, to kill one nationalist, excuse me, I mean militant? The money for the 9/11 killers did come from Pakistan after all.
--
- Billy

What is legal/illegal is a fine line when it comes to intelligence information.

So, if found guilty of that charge, is the punishment "summary execution"?
If so, it seems rather extreme given the boring nature of the information contained in the leaks to date. Anyone with half a brain and an interest in politics and world events and access to a computer could have reached simialr conclusions.