Snow!

Page 1 of 2
Plowable snow here this morning in Central Ct. - gardening season is over :( J
central WHERE??????
snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnojunk (JCMumsie) wrote:

Connecticut
--
Humankind has not woven the web of life.
We are but one thread within it.
Humankind has not woven the web of life.
We are but one thread within it.
I'm in West Tennessee and we haven't had it yet either. The darn grass is still growing and I already winterized my mower!
--
Kate
98 Cobra Drop Top

Yep, 4" here, plows are out, trees are coated with white....it's gorgeous! :o)
--
Ann, Gardening in zone 6a
Just south of Boston, MA
"Ann" < snipped-for-privacy@thecia.net> wrote in message
On 11/13/04 12:09 PM, in article snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com,

And everyone has forgotten how to drive? I certainly noticed a few people that didn't own snow scrappers on the roads.....
Cheryl

What amazes me is that snow makes headlines here in New England. I'm sure the snow will be the lead story on the news tonight, people are continually surprised, I guess, when it snows in winter around here!
--
Ann, Gardening in zone 6a
Just south of Boston, MA

Ann,
What you say is SO TRUE. One would think that New Englanders would come to expect snow when the weather turns cold. Let me tell you about people who don't know how to drive...PERIOD. I moved from Massachusetts to southeastern Virginia. It's totally amazing here...Rain, Sunshine, Snow...doesn't matter...there's generally at least one major accident a day in this area. Last week I saw a vehicle that had flipped on it's roof on the interstate on an absolutely beautiful, cloud-free sunshiney day. When it snows, things get cancelled. Four inches can shut this area down for a day. I'm hoping for a little snow. My dogs love to play in the snow...when we get some. One of them I brought down with me so she's had the pleasure of playing in snow after a major dump (12-24 inches).
Lynn
Lynn, it can't be ANYTHING like California drivers.
--
Kate
98 Cobra Drop Top

Every place has bad drivers, they're just different. California drivers are bad drivers in different ways than Nevada drivers, who are in turn bad in different ways from Idaho drivers, who are in turn bad drivers in different ways from Virginia drivers, who are in turn bad drivers in different ways from D.C. drivers, who are in turn bad drivers in different ways than New York drivers.
I haven't visitted every state in the nation yet, but of those that I have visitted, I haven't yet found a place where people are predominantly *good* drivers.
steve
Steve Wolfe wrote:

You want interesting driving habits, try Brazil. I haven't tried Africa or Asia yet.
On 11/15/04 6:27 AM, in article 4198929f$0$579$ snipped-for-privacy@senator-bedfellow.mit.edu, "dps"

Italian road ways are hairy!
Cheryl

I've seen Mexico, it's a zoo. And pictures/videos from asia that I've seen are unimaginable.
Of course, I've also seen videos of traffic in the USA from the early days of cars, when the idea of having "lanes" hadn't even been proposed....
steve
here in the frozen tundra (I am close to the lake and havent been hit with hard freeze either) .... with all the snow the wisdom is dont go out driving the first snow if possible, wait til all the idiots wipe out. I head to large parking lot and do spins getting a feel for it before I hit the roads. Ingrid
Ann wrote:

But winter's still more than a month away!

Oh, I don't think the seasons bother with reading a calendar. November is either cold, snowy, rainy, or positively warm. Take your pick from year to year! One year we were running around in shorts and t-shirts on Thanksgiving day. A year or so later (or earlier) we were dealing with almost 2' of snow. It's New England! I wouldn't live anywhere else.
--
Ann, Gardening in zone 6a
Just south of Boston, MA

When I got my russian shepherd puppies early this year, everything was covered in snow, and they LOVED it. They'd play in the snow. Then to rest, forget the warm, cozy indoors, they'd go lay in the snow to rest. They would NOT walk on the sidewalk - only the snow. When the snow started receding a few months later, they weren't sure of all of that other stuff that became visible. For a short while, they wouldn't even walk or go to the bathroom on that weird "ground" that they'd never seen before. Then, of course, came spring, and they soon learned that sniffing the ground, eating grass, and chasing bugs were pretty fun, too.
So, a few weeks ago when we got the first small snow storm of the yar, we woke them up during the night and took them outside to see the world "as it should be" again. They walked out the door, froze in place, looked around with expressions of mixed surprise, awe, and delight - and then went CRAZY running and playing in it. It may have only been 3/4", but it was heaven to them.

Around here, people are complete idiots about driving in the snow for the first two snowfalls, then they suddenly remember how to go about it sensibly for the rest of the winter. Yet the next year, for the first two snowfalls, they're complete idiots once again.
steve
Cheryl Isaak wrote:

For that reason I always recommend you turn on your lights when driving. Not so that you can see better, but so the other person who hasn't fully defrosted their windshield can see you. This is particularly applicable to the morning commute.