Snails

I have a problem with snails and I was told broken egg shells. Also that there is a wire I can use

ROSEMARIE

Reply to
ROSEMARIE

You can use egg shells, diatomaceous earth, wood ashes, drown them in beer, or make the midnight rounds with a flash light (torch in your part of the world). Your best bet is to get a bait with iron phosphate in it (iron is a necessary element for human health and phosphate is important to the garden), or nematodes (Google: "garden, snails, nematodes") or check a nursery near you.

Reply to
Billy

I bought a small spool of thin copper wire. I wrap this three times around certain flower pots that have plants that attract snails. I also wrapped it around the trunk of a tangelo (citrus that is a cross between pomelo and tangerine) in a way that allows the trunk to grow and expand without the wire cutting into the bark. (The snails in California find citrus bark to be a special treat. They can kill a mature tree by eating all around the trunk and girdling the tree.)

For my garden in general, I use carnivorous decollate snails. I don't know if decollates will prey on the snails in your area. Also, decollates are not allowed in some areas because they might prey on native endangered snails. See for details about decollates and also about ways to control the snails that destroy our gardens.

Reply to
David E. Ross

Eggshells have worked for me.

I've also heard they don't like hair .

Reply to
Laura at theGardenPages

Ammonia and water in a hand sprayer works well for me. Whenever I see them I give them a shot with the sprayer and they roll up and die. Cheers, Monty in Michigan

Reply to
Monty

So, does that mean you stay up all night with your sprayer in hand?

Persephone

Reply to
Persephone