Snail Jewelry!

Stepped out of my office today (Rochester NY) after it had stopped raining. Usually, there are a few snails with green shells hanging around on the ground beneath the generic office bushes (arborvitae or whatever they are). But today, there were at least 50 snails on TOP of the bushes, like jewelry - all wet & shiny in the sun. Totally amazing! I have NEVER seen snails do this. Anyone have a direct connection to snail traditions, and perhaps an explanation? -Doug
On wet nights, they climb up to avoid drowning and predators. Then they seal themselves in to prevent drying during the day and that sticks them to whatever they're on. By nightfall, they will awaken once again and if it's not too wet, climb back down.
Which reminds me, my neighbour just started saving used bamboo skewers. She uses them to pick up slugs. ;P
from snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Pen) contains these words:

Beware of barbecue invitations.
Janet

Skewers??? I hope you're not suggesting that for snails! These are beautiful. Now, for my neighbors' dogs, that's another story.