Small tree recommendation

There is a space in my yard right off the patio that might be good for a small tree, but I'm not sure what to plant there. The area is about an 8' x 8' square bordered on the front side by the patio (exposed aggregate concrete); on the back with a 6' wood privacy fence; and on side a PVC vinyl storage shed. (There is nothing bordering the other side of the square.) The area gets full sun all day and has clay soil which would be time-consuming and expensive to improve significantly. Would any small tree grow in these conditions? Any ideas welcome.
Rhonda Richmond, VA USDA Zone 7
************************ Basic human psychology is one of my subroutines.
Natty Dread wrote:

Inkberry, Swiss Stone Pine and (maybe the best) Princess Kay Plum.

how about a olive or fig tree? They do well in poor soil and, as best I can tell, lots of sun light.
rob
Maintenance Suggestions
A pruning guide that will help you is "World Wide Pruning Guide" by Dr. Shigo. http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/TPRUNING.html
Remember we must treat the whole system. The systematic approach to the care of trees is called Modern Arboriculture. The book Modern Arboriculture can be found here. Again the web site is: See proper Planting http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/MARBOR.html
See "pruning" in our Techno Tree Biology Dictionary http://www.treedictionary.com
If you can not afford the literature then your library can get it if you order it. Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr. http://mercury.ccil.org/~treeman / Beware of so-called TREE EXPERTS who do not understand TREE BIOLOGY! www.treedictionary.com Storms, fires, floods, earthquakes, and volcanic eruptions keep reminding us that we are not the boss. Some people will buy products they do not understand and not buy books that will give them understanding.