Small tree - ideas what it is please?

Just stayed at a large country house in Oxfordshire. In the garden was a tree/bush about 5 feet high. Leaves were green, narrow and pointed. What was striking was the fruit/seeds. On each branch just ahead of the leaves were thin stalks about 2-3 ins long. At the end of the stalks were heart shaped pinky red covers that opened out to reveal bright orange seeds, kidney shaped and about 1/4 to 1/2 inch long.
Anybody know what this is? I shall be planting these seeds to see if I can grow this in my garden....

Strawberry bush? Euonymus, if so.

No, fruits too small for strawberry bush. It's spindle tree.Euonymus europaeus, heres a pic
http://www.beautifulbotany.com/STOCK%20D-F/Euonymus%20europaeus.jpg
Janet

Thanks everybody. The pic Janet sent is exactly what it is. Next move now is to plant these seeds and see what happens!

I don't know either, but I say one along our walking path in our partially cleared woods. They are Bright Fuschia pods aren't they? and the seeds are definitely Neon orange!! Ours is a scraggly bush, but maybe with transplanting it could become an attractive shrub. I will be looking it up on Google today. Will let you know what I find. Nan

I wonder if this is a form of Euonymus? Eastern Burningbush, Euonymus astropurpurens.
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts

Sorry to respond twice, but I misspelled the name. Does this look like the tree? Euonymus atropurpureus : http://www.cas.vanderbilt.edu/bioimages/species/euat3.htm
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts
Pete L wrote:

Your luck of getting an ID on it without a picture seems slim. See if you can get a pic and post a link to it, or ask for an ID on alt.binaries.pictures.gardens with it attached as a post.