Small Tomatoes

I planted beefstake and big beef tomatoes. I have a pretty good yield so far as numbers but most of them are very small, probably 2 to 3 inches in diameter. Does anyone have an idea why they are so small. I've fertilized a few times and also used Miracle Grow Soil.
Has this recent drought in the Midwest been a factor?
Sherwin D.
brsher wrote:

In article snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net says...

That has been my excuse this year for everything wrong with my garden and I'm sticking to it.
BTW: My tomatoes are undersized too for some reason.

Are they in pots?
You got ripped off by the place you bought them.
Maybe some helpful customer switched plant labels and you are the fortunate one to buy the mislabeled plants?!!!!
All the fertilizer in the world won't change a thing.

biggest, smoothest, and largest quantity ripen from the tenth to the end of July. This year the weather was extremely hot and dry, which I blame for the problem, even though I keep them watered regularly in their raised bed where they are mulched with a layer of straw. I would surmise that the heat really did a number on them because I have raised good tomatoes in drought years.
No, this had nothing to do with a mix-up of tags in the store. I purchased and started my own seeds from a reputable provider from which I've always had good luck. They were the same varieties that I usually grow with the exception of one plant.
JPS