Small leaves on coleus

I have a "seemingly healthy" coleus (I don't know the exact variety but the leaves are a dark maroon). I say it's healthy because it is sprouting purplish buds at the ends of many stems. I am pinching some leaf tips to promote a fuller growth...but the plant looks stunted because the leaves are so small---I think they should be larger. It's in a window that gets afternoon sun and I try to keep it moist.
Any suggestions appreciated! Thanks! Sandra in PA
On 20 Feb 2007 20:22:12 -0800, " snipped-for-privacy@aol.com"

Coleus are very sensitive to environments. They will grow larger leaves with more light and warmth.
On 20 Feb 2007 20:22:12 -0800, " snipped-for-privacy@aol.com"

It sounds like a variety called 'Molten Lava.' Look here:
http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/66603 /

Some coleus varieties just have smaller leaves, just as some have ruffled edges on their leaves. Have you had this plant long enough to see what its typical habits are?

Have you been fertilizing it? Try Miracle Grow for acid plants.

Coleus likes acidic conditions?

So a Florest told me years ago. Yes.

As it turns out, that's wrong, according to 3 books at my local library. All 3 recommended feeding every 3 months with normal houseplant fertilizer, diluted to half strength.

Apparently so. I have cuttings originally from a 6th grade school teacher 40 years ago. Growing well outdoors in Ohio, CA, and now in E.TN one cutting grew over 5 feet in our clay-acidic soils with lots of rainfall and watering. Coleus is easier grown outdoors than indoors, but the first frost kills it quick and the game is to get a cutting or two just before frost date for next year's planting. I grow the cuttings in water for 2-4 months, then pot up. While growing in water the leaves are quite small. Stronger plant grown in vermiculite.

I grow them in a peat mix and use, every other time, Miracle Grow for acid plants. Make much better color and growth. Other times regular Miracle Grow or Peter's.