small garden (UK)

Hi, I have a small garden which is about 20 feet long and 15 feet wide. It's full sun nearly all day, (when we actually have some sun that is, been raining all summer so far) and I was wondering if anyone has any clever tips for getting the most out of this space?

Thanks Tee

Reply to
tinytee

look into a Japanese garden type of experience. If possible use borrowed views.

"A Japanese Touch for your Garden."

ISBN 0-87011-391-7

Of course you can steal a few ideas from this book and tie it into a formal herb garden. I'd go to local gardens and glean ideas and then make it your own.

Your garden.

Bill

Reply to
William Wagner

Eco-art nurse log.

Sincerely, John A. Keslick, Jr. Arborist
Beware of so-called tree experts who do not understand tree biology. Storms, fires, floods, earthquakes, and volcanic eruptions keep reminding us that we are not the boss.

Reply to
symplastless

Well, that gives you a lot of options. Flowers, culinary herbs, and vegetables mostly like full sun (with a few exceptions). You'll want to put several paths through it so you aren't walking on the beds. But you can figure out whether you want rectangular beds (about 36 inches wide) or meandering paths, or what.

Assuming you have some time to spend in it, you don't need to worry quite as much about making everything low-maintenance as you would in a bigger one. Although 20 feet by 15 feet is big enough that you'll want to avoid just ignoring it and letting all the weeds grow up (putting in enough plants to shade out the weeds can help; mulching can help; etc).

I don't know, there are a lot of books about how to lay out a garden... Did you have any particular questions in mind?

Reply to
Jim Kingdon