small garden

we recently moved to a flat with what we thought was a good size garden only to find out the land didn't belong with the flat. The council have decided to sell the land as its part of a bigger plot, lucky nobody will get planning permission and a lady wants it as an extension to her garden lucky lady but because we live in local housing authority we couldn't but it even if we could of afforded it, so to the point

the strip we have is 6ft by 26ft yea small but its still a garden my only down side is that i might have to put my washing line on this plot as well and thats 6ft by 6ft when up,

its fenced in on three sides and a wall on the fourth long side we have put 12 slabs in so we have somewhere to sit two clematis to climb the wall,

not sure what else at the moment as its uneven and grassy, will remove the grass and lay mulch of some sort around plants as they get put in will get photos to add later

Reply to
katheryn

katheryn wrote: ...

dig a hole and bury the grass as the roots contain a lot of good topsoil and nutrients when the worms break it all down.

songbird

Reply to
songbird

With that narrow a fenced garden the orientation will be all-important. Does it actually get enough hours of sunlight (UK weather permitting) to grow anything sun-loving? Many veggies are very demanding of their light and you'd be hard pressed to grow tomatoes or any of their Solanum kin without 6+ hours of good direct sunlight. I managed to grow tomatoes and cucumbers in Alaska when I lived there -- plenty of daylight but not enough warmth so I had to resort to fiberglass hot-boxes over two 6 X 6 X 1-foot raised beds.

You might consider a long strip of raised bed along one side of the strip if that would allow enough sunlight since that would allow you to put up a clothes line over the bed and still have access to both bed and line.

Just my two-pence worth...

Reply to
John McGaw

Ty songbird yea will be putting grass bk into the garden

Reply to
katheryn