Small flowering tree choice in KC

Next spring, I would like to plant a single shrub or small tree in front of an open space on the back of my house (the house is grey). Ideally, it would be 8-12 feet high and 4-5 feet wide at maturity, or be able to be pruned to those dimensions. I'd like it to flower spring or summer (white, yellow, or red would be ideal), and show some color in the fall. I live in Kansas City, Zone 5. The space will get morning sun and then be shaded by the house in the afternoon. It faces north.
What would you recommend? I've been thinking Chinese Dogwood, Japanese Maple, Royal Star Magnolia, Forest Pansy Redbud, or perhaps Forsythia. But most of these are probably too big. I'd appreciate your input--I'm new to this.
Thanks so much.
Stu Weiner

Maybe Seven son flower tree? It stays small here in Denver in zone 5, has fragrant white flowers in summer and bright pink bracts in fall. Also has an attractive shredding bark for added winter interest. http://www.colostate.edu/Depts/CoopExt/4DMG/Trees/seven.htm sed5555