Slugs-nothing works, please help!!!!

I have a massive slug problem in my garden of pots, (it is only a yard, no grass). I have brought a lot of my plants inside as the slugs won't leave them alone (I've given up trying things now, tried everything).*
I've tried every suggestion, egg shells, copper tape, *garlic, onion, bran flakes, salt, sand, gravel, fir tree needles, coffee grounds, beer traps, vaseline, sand, gravel, Westlands slug Blocker (http://tinyurl.com/2bh2f2 .
None work and my plants are just dying! I recently bought a delphinium and I have had to bring that in after the rain yesterday as it had just started growing back again after the last attack....
I'm guessing there's only slug pellets left to try now, of course I will get the pellets that don't hurt cats etc as my cat died that way and they also effect the fertility of songbirds.
Is there anything that ACTUALLY works? I'm desperate!!!!!
--
hakakahn

Put a bowl of beer next to the plant, the slugs are attracted to it, they will fall in and drown.
I have found the iron phosphate slug pellets work great. Iron phosphate occurs naturally in soil and is basically a plant nutrient, so these are considered non-toxic and can be used in vegetable gardens, around pets, etc.
My family tried the beer trick when I was growing up -- IMO it's a complete myth. We might have drowned a grand total of one slug that way, out of the about five billion of them swarming over our garden.
Utopia in Decay http://home.comcast.net/~kevin.cherkauer/site /
Kevin Cherkauer

Kevin Cherkauer wrote:

I have used the beer "trick" and have had great success with it. The "trick" is to use stale beer, you have to let it "age" before the slugs will be attracted to it. They other "trick" is to use shallow containers, ones that the slugs don't have to do a lot of climbing to get to. Also, placement is important. Place the containers in "sheltered" areas. I found shady areas to be better than sunny areas.
--
Bill R. (Ohio Valley, U.S.A)

Bill R;799810 Wrote:

As I say beer doesn't work, never has s I'm not sure boards would. I don't have room for toads etc... So I guess I have to get pellets and kill them, which I hate doing. Dopes anyone have any reccs for non-animal harming ones?
This Morning are covering slugs This Morning today and they suggest all the usual natural things that don't work. It made me email in to say 'they don't work'!!
--
hakakahn

Iron phosphate slug pellets work great worth repeating. If you are inclined to go out and spray your slugs a saturated solution of aluminum sulfate with kill them.
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aluminium_sulfate>
<http://en.mimi.hu/gardening/aluminum_sulfate.html
<http://www.jtbaker.com/msds/englishhtml/a2914.htm
Bill
--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

I have used beer very successfully every year. I scoop out a small indentation in the ground and put in an empty, small-sized tuna fish can filled with beer. I set these little beer traps in various areas in my yard and they always have many slugs in them in the morning. If you have patio pots, I would set some of the pots' saucers in a larger shallow dish or pan (so as not to have the beer absorb up into the plant soil) and fill that larger one with beer. They're sure to fall into it on their way up the pot to the plant.
ctlady

In article

www.recyclenow.org/less-toxic/SnailsSlugs.PDF
--