Slugs and Snails Advice

SLUGS & SNAILS http://www.gardennetlinks.co.uk The UK directory of garden related websites.
If there are two words that strike fear into the hearts of gardeners and make them drop their spades in sheer terror and rage it is Slugs and Snails. These odd wet lumps of frog like flesh are good at very few things, but one thing they do excellently is to eat large chunks of prize flowers and plants. To the amateur there seems little difference between the two apart from the fact one has a portable shelter on its back. Both like damp dark conditions and both have male and female bits, so two are not needed to tango. Being Hermaphrodites, a lonely waltz does the trick for reproduction.
- Keep your garden tidy, this will reduce the number of shady spots where they can hide out. - Place crushed shell, eggshells, used coffee or grit around plants as neither like sliming their bodies over it. Most uncomfortable! - Their favourite tipple is beer, place a beer trap in the garden and the binge drinkers will flock to it gasping to dive in it and die happy and drunk. - If using nasty chemicals, USE SPARINGLY, don't nuke your garden with it, think targeted assasination. Sprinkle conservatively around prize plants. - In every battle it helps to have allies. Hedgehogs, frogs, toads, shrews and ground beetles will all help keep snails and slugs at bay, so encourage them to visit your garden. - Thrushes will batter the snails shells until they break up, using their beaks, provide a flat stone so they can do it properly. Battering them on grass will just give the snails a headache. - One of the most effective ways to address the problem is a nightime ambush. Using a torch, just go round and collect them all up and either squish them underfoot or if you prefer, take your prisoners on a car journey or walk and leave them in a field a few miles from your garden, don't discard too close to home as snails tend to have in built GPS and it won't be long before you hear a slimey "Hi honey, I'm home!!!".
http://www.gardennetlinks.co.uk The UK directory of garden related websites.

Not if you have these guys... spotted this beauty trecking across my back yard this afternoon... heading straight for my neighbors garlic:
http://i18.tinypic.com/4tu4y83.jpg" target="_images" rel="nofollow">

http://i13.tinypic.com/4tifmev.jpg" target="_images" rel="nofollow">

http://i13.tinypic.com/4l3ygz6.jpg" target="_images" rel="nofollow">

http://i11.tinypic.com/6b9fd4i.jpg" target="_images" rel="nofollow">
http://i11.tinypic.com/6b9fd4i.jpg">
http://i11.tinypic.com/6b9fd4i.jpg

My neighbor has a neat garden:
http://i16.tinypic.com/5y7dqau.jpg" target="_images" rel="nofollow">http://i16.tinypic.com/5y7dqau.jpg">
http://i16.tinypic.com/5y7dqau.jpg

Those IMG tags are screwing up the URLs for those of us who have real newsreaders. This is Usenet, not the WWW.
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts

*snork*....heeheehee.... ;-)
Charlie

What an ignoranus remark, you can't access Usenet without logging on to the net. Those IMG tags have not a whit to do newsreaders. If you had a REAL computer (instead of that antique with an outdated operating system) you'd have no problem whatsoever.

Being kinda prickly again, aintcha, Sheldon?
Shows what you don't know about the operations of the interwebs, internets, usenets and life in general, Mr. Google-Head.
Sorry, Billy......he doesn't read my posts anyway.
Charlie
Charlie wrote:

I not taking sides for or against anybody in particular here, but I don't understand what you all are on about. Was there a problem with the links Sheldon posted? They worked for me. I'm guessing they worked for most.
So what gives?

What give is Shelly-boy thinks just because he accessed this group via a web browser that he can change the rules and be the king.
Rec.gardens is a text-only based group, no photos are supposed to be posted here. Many news servers will strip picture posts right out, others will stop carrying the group if too many photos are posted.
If you want to post a picture do it either by posting a like (without img tags, which screw up the link) or on alt.binaries.pictures.gardens and tell people here that's where the picture is at.
Googlegroups will access Usenet, but it is most definitely not the best way to do so.
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts

Actually, Shelly-boo, if you had any true understanding of how Usenet worked I'd be impressed. This is a text-only based group, number one, no picture are supposed to be posted here. Number two is any idiot like you can access Usenet via Googlegroups and believe that he's a Usenet Overlord.
Just what makes you such a twit? Were you born that way, or did you just decide one day to be an idiot?
You haven't got a friggin' clue about Usenet or what I'm using for a computer.
And yes, Billy, I know, but I had to get in one last blast.
Sheldon's in the bozo file now.
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts

There has been more than one discussion on the supernews.groups urging them to issue a UDP for googlegroups. I would support that.
Charlie
Charlie expounded:

I realize not everyone who reads via Googlegroups is an idiot, but there surely seems to be a tendancy now for the idiots to use Google....
I'd hate to see the good people get UDP'd, but if it'll get rid of the likes of you know who I'd support it - but we both know that'll never work.
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts
Ann wrote:

I never posted pictures here... posting links to other web sites is not inserting graphics files... it's perfectly acceptible to post URLs here (you just don't know how). That your computer even detected those tagged URLs proves conclusively that you are using an antique with a grossly outdated operating system... or... you don't even have a computer, you're stealing the use of your employer's internet time, many business networked computers allow only minimal connectivity. Your comprehension of computers is very sad, Ann. Now it's time for your temper tantrum... make some more threatening, ignorant, and disparaging remarks, show everyone how stupid and obnoxious you are, Ann.

I'll take $20.00 against.

WAAAAAAAAHH........thanks, friend.......just ran a good swallow of brew backwards through me nose........
Charlie
On Tue, 10 Jul 2007 23:52:20 -0500, Charlie wrote:

Sorry. Sorta. ;-) While we're saying thanks, thanks for "Home-Front Ecology".

Yeah....right. Everybody likes to be able to reverse the beer flow.....on someone else! ;-)
Glad you appreciated the article..sometimes I feel as if I am swatting balls into the great emptiness.
Nice to meet ya.
Care Charlie
On Wed, 11 Jul 2007 00:16:37 -0500, Charlie wrote:

If it's over the fence, it's over the fence. The attendance count is irrelevant.

Nice to meet you, too.
On Jul 11, 1:16 am, Charlie wrote:

just because i *groaned* about it this time, doesn't mean i don't appreciate it either........you know i'm a reader!
rae

Please, please, please give a prominent mention to the Leopard Slug, the good guy among slugs. He (it) is an impressively large carnivorous slug which eats up the common slugs. Unless gardeners know of this, they will gleefully stomp on him in the belief he is a pest.
In appearance, the Leopard Slug is light brown-grey with darker stripes, hence the name. We have it in Australia, I don't know its country of origin or how widely distributed it is, but to the gardener it is worth its weight in gold.
The Leopard Slug has one fatal attraction: his athletic physique means he invariably gets to any snail pellet ahead of the bad guys. :-(( That's one good reason for not using snail bait. If he doesn't take the bait directly, he'll probably get poisoned when he dines on the carcass of a slug that did tangle with a pellet.