slug victory

I would just like to report that I have had enormous success killing slugs with beer in SW Ohio. Stroh's and plastic cups are all that are required. I caught seven - yes seven - slugs in one night with day-old beer. Dumping seven soggy dead slugs from a plastic cup was both nausiating and rewarding. I think so far I've killed about two dozen 3-4" adult slugs this year, mostly with beer but also by smashing those that I happen to see when I'm out at dusk or dawn. Plus I've probably killed about half a dozen baby slugs when they've been tracked into my house by the dog and cat. If it weren't for the babies getting into the house, I probably wouldn't be half as determined to kill the breeders.

But I am wondering (since I was asked) if slugs serve any purpose in a garden. I've only seem them eating my flowering plants, which signed their death warrants.

Reply to
jel

Slugs break down decaying plant matter - they also eat holes in my hosta, among other things. I got runner ducks to hunt them down and eat them in my yard, and they do a great job of it. karen portland, or

Reply to
AnonnyMoose

Do they serve any purpose for whom? For you?

Do you actually believe that everything on earth was put here solely to serve man? Do you believe in the Doctrine of Signatures"? Are you stuck in the "Dark Ages"?

Why don't you try eating the slugs like they did in a recent episode of "Fear Factor"? They say they taste just like snails only without the shells!!!!!

Reply to
Cereoid-UR12-

You must wait until a full moon before doing the fertility dance!!

The slugs should be fried in butter with garlic and served with fava beans and a glass of Chianti. Ffffff!!

Next thing you know you will be having a "slug fest"!!!!

Reply to
Cereoid-UR12-