slug and lawn

Hello, recently, I have discovered that my lawn is infested by slugs. In the morning, when I walked on the lawn I spotted quite a few slugs. Since, slugs are more actice during night, that gave me an impression that I have lots of slugs hiding in my lawn. I do not have any flower bed/vegetables yet. I just have lawn and weed. Here is my question which I like to have your advice: Are slugs not good for grass? Do they feed on grass too? Looks like there are many non-chemical slug control. which one you recommend?

thanks

Reply to
FardinA

Slugs don't seem to bother my grass.

Reply to
Travis

They're genetically programmed to figure out which plants we value the most, craved throughout the winter, and can only be started/grown once per season. They are the epitome of evil.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

I just posted a new article to my website dealing with slugs and how to win the war with them:

How to Win the War Against Slugs and Snails

Rid Your Garden of Slugs

to these articles, they are night feeders and are drawn ou on overcast and rainy day by the cool air. Watering seems to bring the out into the open, I've found.

They seem to like (as suggested in one of the articles) smooth leave plants. Hostas are defiantly a favorite, while hairy leaved plants ge off Scot free. I never see holes chewed into my Dusty Miller (Lychin coronaria) or Lambs' ears (Stachys byzantina)... too hairy I guess.

FardinA wrote: Looks like there are many non-chemical slug control. which one you recommend?

As suggested in one of the articles a saucer of beer (any brand) seem to attract them. I have several of them hidden about the garden. The seem to like hiding under empty ice cream and margarine containers They can easily be retrieved from these and disposed of.

If you can put in a pond, I have found that frogs or toads(?) mak quick meals of them. We have a rain barrel set into the ground with few plants in that seems to have attracted our toad/frog. The bird like to bathe in it too.

Putting rock salt around seems to deter them as well.

Good luck

-- LavenderBee

Reply to
LavenderBee