slightly ot, was re: chemicals

I found this article to be of enormous interest:

Garbage into Oil!

David J Bockman

I've wondered for years why old tires were not ground up, the steel removed with magnets, and the rubber mixed with crude oil at the refineries.

Regards, Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

I can't find the reference, but in the last couple of weeks I came across a story about a guy who took old tires, and built a fence in a rural area with them, and ran into all kinds of legal troubles because of the laws regarding the "disposal" of tires. I wonder how often recycling efforts die not because the technology isn't there, but because the laws are inflexible, and the folks who could change them don't care to change them?

Reply to
Warren

Does anyone else besides me think that Warren is the next unibomber in the making?

Reply to
GrumpyAboutSpam

In Europe, I've heard that they're mixing ground up old tires in asphaltic concrete for road surfaces, with really good results.

Jan

Reply to
Jan Flora

This page has a good deal of general information on tire recycling.

seems that while they *can* be reused/recycled, many of the processes are just too expensive to be practical. Although, like certain 'oil recovery' operations, when the price of an end-product rises, some methods *do* become worth investing in.

Reply to
Frogleg