Skunk problem

Ok - the dog spooked a skunk last night and while the spray missed him, it did hit the driveway and lawn
So, do I just have to wait it out or is there something I can do the get the oils out of the lawn and driveway. Silly dog likes to rub himself in the musk. Yes, I know it is normal and he's had a little vinegar rub to take most of the edge off the stench. I'm not bathing him until I can eliminate some of the odor on the driveway.
Cheryl

Thinking of things that dissolve oil without hurting the lawn, car wash stuff comes to find. Granted, it's usually diluted when it's rinsed off the car, but still....might be worth a try. Or, a dish liquid like Dawn, diluted and sprayed onto the area, allowed to sit for a little while, then rinsed. Then, repeated 13,000 times.
On 9/25/05 11:52 AM, in article PIzZe.7995$ snipped-for-privacy@news02.roc.ny, "Doug

We are supposed to get drenched shortly. We'll see what happens.
Cheryl
Cheryl Isaak wrote:

Cheryl, the 'main ingredient' in skunk spray is actually activated by water. It'll make it worse to get it wet.
Mix up some of this and try it. It scales up pretty well.
1 Quart of 3% hydrogen peroxide 1/4 cup baking soda 1 teaspoon dish soap
I PROMISE it'll work. See you on RCTN! Becky A
On 9/25/05 1:40 PM, in article snipped-for-privacy@telenor.com, "Becky A"

I can't stop the rain! LOL
See you there too! it's too cold to garden, so I'll be back to my stitching in a few minutes!
Cheryl

I can absolutely attest to the fact that this above receipe is indeed TRUE! Sugar has gotten skunked and pole catted twice and walked thru the area where the spray was at and got it on her the third time. Where I couldn't do anything about her poor eyes (the first time she got it full face, poor baby...it's been two months and her eyes STILL have a slight "skunky" smell to them, I've begun calling her "Stinkum's" sometimes) her ears, face, bridge of nose, everything I used a large convenient store jug the just a peroxide and baking soda mixture and massaged it into her face, neck, in her ears and chest area. It worked wonderfully.
The second time she got pole catted. Yes, I know that's a skunk, but as any Southerner knows, pole cats are wider, their white fur is dirty yellow and more of it and less black, sometimes ALL dirty yellow white and boy do they waddle.........and their spray is HORRIBLE. Yes as bad as skunk is, but it's somehow different, or at least what we smelled the second time was absolutely different from the first full frontal assault.
The third time I almost died. I was sick with the tooth thing and she came in all downcast and apologetic as if she KNEW she was in trouble. Thank goodness it was only walking thru the area. But the peroxide,baking soda and dish detergent works. I used my Tangerine Tickle Vo5 shampoo in the mixture instead of dish detergent because it doesn't dry out their skin as badly as dish detergent or Dawn does. Even baby shampoo would be better mixed with the other stuff as it's gentler.
She resigns herself to the baths. Smeagol isn't as adventurous as she is and only gets a bath when he rolls into something horrible, which he has now started doing........shades of "Rose lives!" oy vey................
I'm doing a rain dance despite that the basement foundation is subject to imploading, it's so dry, I almost lost some major plants and shrubs in my gardens (the bad timing of the drought and the tooth nightmare made it easy to almost kill everything that wasn't firmly in the clay soil).
madgardener up on the ridge, much much better, overlooking English Mountain in EAstern TEnnessee zone 7, Sunset zone 36 where they promise low's of mid 40's?? wow!

Something must disintegrate the stuff, without human intervention. Otherwise, the woods would permanently stink.
Doug Kanter wrote:

I never said it wouldn't fade on it's own. It will. It just takes plenty of time. But would you want a stinky driveway in the meantime? I know I wouldn't!
Doug Kanter wrote:-
"Becky A" snipped-for-privacy@online.no wrote in message
Ok - the dog spooked a skunk last night and while the spray misse him, it did hit the driveway and lawn
So, do I just have to wait it out or is there something I can do th get the oils out of the lawn and driveway. Silly dog likes to rub himself i the musk. Yes, I know it is normal and he's had a little vinegar rub t take most of the edge off the stench. I'm not bathing him until I can eliminate some of the odor on the driveway.
Cheryl
Thinking of things that dissolve oil without hurting the lawn, ca wash stuff comes to find. Granted, it's usually diluted when it's rinse off the car, but still....might be worth a try. Or, a dish liquid like Dawn, diluted and sprayed onto the area, allowed to sit for a little while, then rinsed. Then, repeated 13,000 times.
We are supposed to get drenched shortly. We'll see what happens.
Cheryl -
Cheryl, the 'main ingredient' in skunk spray is actually activated by water. It'll make it worse to get it wet.
Mix up some of this and try it. It scales up pretty well.
1 Quart of 3% hydrogen peroxide 1/4 cup baking soda 1 teaspoon dish soap
I PROMISE it'll work. See you on RCTN! Becky A-
Something must disintegrate the stuff, without human intervention. Otherwise, the woods would permanently stink. -
I never said it wouldn't fade on it's own. It will. It just takes plenty of time. But would you want a stinky driveway in the meantime? I know I wouldn't!
another thing that does help take away the smell is tomato juice ful strength. our cat of all things ended up getting sprayed in the fac and did he stink eewwwww. didnt know what to use until i remembere about the tomato juice he still had a bit of a smell maybe also fro his eyes im not really sure but it did work well. also another thin that will help is straight lemon juice. i will also keep on hand the other recipe posted here because if th dog gets it we would need a lot of tomato juice lol. so thanks for tha recipe as well its greatly appreciated. tak care, sockiescat
-- sockiescat
Cheryl Isaak said:

As far as the driveway goes, bleach, full strength, first. Then some heavy duty detergent. I learned about this after the incident involving the skunk with a cup stuck on his head. (I ended up throwing out the blanket that was also involved in that incident.)