Sinister looking new vine in my yard

I found this in the thicket above my porch. The place is home to lots of birds, so I suppose they transported it here. Is it time to get out the flamethrower?
https://plus.google.com/photos/111803220312975048591/albums/5886067541861078065/5886067598172669170?pidX86067598172669170&oid1803220312975048591
Thanks in advance
Bob

That looks like it could be English Ivy. http://www.guide-to-houseplants.com/english-ivy.html
--
Natural Girl

Natural (Smoking Gun) Girl wrote:

It sure is sinister, I can't decide if it is Sicilian ivy or Al Kaida ivy.

No reason to check. It is English Ivy you poor bastard.
Flamethrower followed up a week later by poison then an army tank then repeat as often as required.
--
Remember Rachel Corrie
<http://www.rachelcorrie.org/

birds, so I suppose they transported it here. Is it time to get out the flamethrower?

https://plus.google.com/photos/111803220312975048591/albums/5886067541861078065/5886067598172669170?pidX86067598172669170&oid1803220312975048591

If you don't want it, pull it up now. Don't wait. The leaves have a sort of waxy coat and it just shrugs off weedkiller - even full strength glyphosate has little effect once it gets established.
--

Jeff

Yup. I've got some Ivy that I really, realy want to be rid of so about 3 months ago I mixed up a really super duper strong dose of glyphosate combined with Blackberry/tree herbicide and I put this into a plastic milk carton and added some detergent to try to get through the waxy coat on the ivy. I shoved a piece of ivy that is about a foot long into the liquid and then put a spring loaded peg on it to make sure that the leaves stayed submerged in the liquid.
I checked this arrangement jsut yesterday and the ivy is still submerged but the most hopeful things I could say about the ivy is that it looks 'tired'. The milk carton is under shelter so the herbicide hasn't become adulterated with rain, but there is not a single sign of death in the filthy ivy.
Farm1 wrote: ...

do you have access to a sand blaster?
:)
songbird

LOL. I don't know what a sand blaster happens to be but I suspect it would be the equivalent of an army tank and would remove all the mortar from my brickwork.
Farm1 wrote:

Its a machine that fires a stream of sand and air at high speed. It is used for cleaning large areas of rust or dirt on ships and other, usually metal, structures. It is quite abrasive and you have to wear protective clothing to use it. It would probably remove any soft mortar from between your bricks quite quickly. To re-surface brickwork without cutting into the mortar (any more than into the brick surface) use a concrete refurbisher which will abrade the whole surface equally.
Farm1 wrote:

it is a device used to clean metals of rust or paint, also to clean surfaces of rocks, bricks, whatever.
aimed at a plant it would likely take it out quickly enough. after using just a bit you would have a surface that would accept herbicides.
and, no you don't want deer without wolves, wolves at least keep things in check. wolves would likely help with the too many roos problem too.
songbird
On Friday, June 7, 2013 7:40:40 PM UTC-7, songbird wrote:

Can't you just burn the ivy in a bonfire?
HB

On 6/6/13 12:32 AM, Jeff Layman wrote:

birds, so I suppose they transported it here. Is it time to get out the flamethrower?

If you mix some liquid soap with the herbicide, you defeat waxy coats, fuzzy leaves, and other surfaces that normally will not become wet.
--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see
On 07/06/2013 01:48, David E. Ross wrote:

birds, so I suppose they transported it here. Is it time to get out the flamethrower?

Indeed, but most users won't know that.
Even Monsanto admits there are problems dealing with ivy, but there are some useful suggestions here (but note that this is really a website for agricultural use): http://www.monsanto-ag.co.uk/content.output/173/173/Roundup/Difficult%20Weeds/Ivy.mspx
--

Jeff

But that doesn't work with ivy.
It has been "dealt with," thanks for all your help.
On Wednesday, June 5, 2013 11:29:17 AM UTC-7, Bob Mulroy wrote:

birds, so I suppose they transported it here. Is it time to get out the flamethrower?

https://plus.google.com/photos/111803220312975048591/albums/5886067541861078065/5886067598172669170?pidX86067598172669170&oid1803220312975048591

Heh, heh heh. Another victim lulled into a false sense of security who thinks he's dealt with the filthy mongrel stuff. He'll be strangled in his bed by it next and never know what hit him.

https://plus.google.com/photos/111803220312975048591/albums/5886067541861078065/5886067598172669170?pidX86067598172669170&oid1803220312975048591 Flamethrower followed up a week later by poison then an army tank then repeat as often as required.

ROFLMAO Bwahahahahahaha
--
Remember Rachel Corrie
<http://www.rachelcorrie.org/
On 6/6/2013 12:04 AM, Farm1 wrote:

I can't grow ivy except right next to the house. Even that is sparse. Stuff I tried to grow on banks will get a good start and disappear in the winter so it is not their favorite food.

Well we are starting to have deer appearring in our paddocks so they might make it up to the house. I am not in favour of this though given the damage I've read about in north American gardens. I thought that having mobs of kangaroos was bad enough.