Simple things that make gardening easier/fun

Page 2 of 2
"FarmI" wrote:

Your stories ain't beliveable. You don't own any wheelbarrow, you don't do any gardening, you don't own a place to garden, your hands have never touched dirt.... at most Janet has a Chia pet! LOL

I tried one of those two wheeled trams, wasn't configured well for gardening and to push over unpaved ground is impossible, didn't work for me... distances here are too great even for a regular wheelbarrow with a full load... my veggie garden is 250' from my garden shed, without a cart I'd spend all my time and energy lugging stuff to and fro.
Normal folks with small properties even for heavy loads use smaller weelbarrows if only for saftey, and sionce distances are small they make a few extra trips... folks with larger properties use small carts they can pull or tow with small tractors... over distances any wheelbarrow is useless, especially over grades, even slight grades (pushing a heavy wheelbarrow down even a slight grade it will get away from you). I use my gardener sized wheelbarrow for light tasks, note it in pic below. And for heavier/bulkier loads I use different sized carts; light loads over short distances I can pull, heavier loads and those over long distances I tow with a small tractor. The yellow cart gets the most use (attaches to tractor too), great to load up with long handled tools, bags of mulch, buckets of compost, all sorts of small tools (pruners, loppers, saws, etc), even chain saw, with fuel, oil, etc., and haul all at once to the work site without making extra trips. My Agrifab dump cart is great for heavier loads. I even have a cart for my trash cans... my mommy didn't raise a donkey.
http://i49.tinypic.com/2zjlzx3.jpg
http://i49.tinypic.com/30wpn48.jpg
http://i46.tinypic.com/2f06cux.jpg
For little people this is all the cart you need:
http://i50.tinypic.com/9idbts.jpg
For the very occasional Powerful Katrinka sized job I use this contractor's wheelbarrow:
http://i47.tinypic.com/vem154.jpg
Powerful Katrinka can even plow snow... mush, Janet, mush! LOL
http://i50.tinypic.com/200f0w.jpg

They're on the other side of the security fence, Sheldon. You'll never get to meet one
Janet

ROTFLMAO
I am so glad to have you back, Janet! Missed you. Emilie NorCal (where it was 69 F yesterday)

Rubbish Sheldon!
I have seen pics of 2 of Janet's gardens (the one she has now and a previous one where she lived before) and they have both been glorious. I've also seen pics of your garden and I'd rate Janet's gardening skills as superior to yours. She's has good plant knowledge and she has a good designer's eye for what looks good in a garden.

True, they are sturdy but unfortunately every single one of the barrows available in any supplier has pump up tyres.

I've never had a problem with pneumatic tires... perhaps over winter they lose some air but with small tires that can easily be remedied with a few strokes with a bicycle pump. Don't yoose folks ever top off the air in your automobile tires? I have a small electric compressor too, $50 at Sears, very handy especially since nowadays gas stations charge for air, and many don't even have compressed air. Oh, I forgot to mention that I also have two tractors with pneumatic tires, those would be a real pain to top off since the nearest service station would require a ten mile round trip. I forgot to mention that my monster Simplicity tiller has two pneumatic tires, good size agri tread, wouldn't operate with smooth solid tires.. And I have two automobiles (SUVs), each with 5 pneumatic tires. I also own an actual bicycle that has it's own tire pump attached, that I also use for pumping up two soccer balls for the grands. If I keep thinking I'll probably remember more pneumatics. Living here would be a real pain without at least a hand pump but I found a small compressor a neccessity.

So you haven't discovered the virtual bicycle yet? You're behind the times Sheldon.

How could you forget that inflatable lady you keep upstairs?

I believe you
Janet

Just because you have never had problems doesn't mean that others have never had problems.
perhaps over winter

Which does not fix a puncture and it was the problem with punctures, usually in the wall of the tyre, that caused my friend such grief with their barrow. It was that problem of having to fix the thing all the time that made me appreciate my ancient barrow with solid tyres.

Wheelbarrow tires don't get sidewall punctures... no way do I believe your stories... you must be Janet's clone. Geeze, yoose brits must have a lot of inbreeding, yoose all have that patent liar gene. You don't do any gardening either... soon as you start talking your neighbor I know you're a I-can-top-your-story barroom liar. Farm1 your ass, you've never been within a hundred miles from any farm, maybe a tenement ghetto ant farm.

Crap Sheldon. On your manicured acres they may not.
no way do I believe

And you can't even do a Properties check.
You

Actually we own 2 farms - the one we live on and another one 70 kms away. We breed Angus cattle Sheldon. Unlike you, we do not live on a few acres of semi rural land.

Without an air compressor conveniently located, best to stay away from pneumatic tires. I've pumped them up with a bicycle pump, it works, but prefer a solid tire without a compressor.