Simple Arbor Designs

I am looking for an extremely simple design for an arbor shade for various points around a house. One idea I had was to put up a single pole at each end with a cross beam, and then put supporting beams at the far ends of each crossbeam to the other pole's crossbeam. Then I could roll over that structure any kind of shading, maybe using some very simple wood beams attached to each other by rope. Does any vendor sell this kind of structure as a kit / system?

Some thing to look at.
<(Amazon.com product link shortened) 2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid47437773&sr=1-2>
Be sure to peruse the reviews.
Bill
--

Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

http://prototype.nytimes.com/gst/articleSkimmer /
W wrote:

Even if they don't have to carry much weight shade structures can carry quite a lot of sail area, something people tend to forget. You don't want something that will blow down in the first high wind. Check out "Decks & Pergolas Construction Manual" by Allan Staines. It is a cheap paperback with loads of content. Even if you don't end up building it yourself it will show you what is possible and the design and construction principles. It's an Australian publication (which means it may not fit your building code exactly) but I would expect it to be available internationally.
David
On Mon, 13 Jul 2009 09:47:42 +1000, "David Hare-Scott"

Wind is a primary concern. It is difficult to design for unpredictable wind forces.
Phisherman wrote:

I have this problem with vegetarian meals sometimes.
David
here is mine, my design. http://weloveteaching.com/hopepond/arbor~1.htm once you plant a good vine on it, it will stabilize it as well. Ingrid

Somewhere between zone 5 and 6 tucked along the shore of Lake Michigan on the council grounds of the Fox, Mascouten, Potawatomi, and Winnebago

Norm Abrams has an arbor design in one of his woodworking books. A lot of arbors have the design on the ends of the top end rails, some elaborate with carvings of animals.