Simple Arbor Designs

I am looking for an extremely simple design for an arbor shade for various points around a house. One idea I had was to put up a single pole at each end with a cross beam, and then put supporting beams at the far ends of each crossbeam to the other pole's crossbeam. Then I could roll over that structure any kind of shading, maybe using some very simple wood beams attached to each other by rope. Does any vendor sell this kind of structure as a kit / system?

Some thing to look at.

Be sure to peruse the reviews.

Bill

Reply to
Bill who putters

Even if they don't have to carry much weight shade structures can carry quite a lot of sail area, something people tend to forget. You don't want something that will blow down in the first high wind. Check out "Decks & Pergolas Construction Manual" by Allan Staines. It is a cheap paperback with loads of content. Even if you don't end up building it yourself it will show you what is possible and the design and construction principles. It's an Australian publication (which means it may not fit your building code exactly) but I would expect it to be available internationally.

David

Reply to
David Hare-Scott

Somewhere between zone 5 and 6 tucked along the shore of Lake Michigan on the council grounds of the Fox, Mascouten, Potawatomi, and Winnebago

Reply to
dr-solo

Norm Abrams has an arbor design in one of his woodworking books. A lot of arbors have the design on the ends of the top end rails, some elaborate with carvings of animals.

Reply to
Phisherman

Wind is a primary concern. It is difficult to design for unpredictable wind forces.

Reply to
Phisherman

I have this problem with vegetarian meals sometimes.

David

Reply to
David Hare-Scott