silverleaf whitefly

I am seeing silverleaf whitefly on some squash. They look like a voracious little white spec that flies around when I tap a leaf and they are leaving holes in the leaves where they are eating, and the leaves are getting white / silverish discolored veins.

Doing some research over google I am seeing that silver reflective mulch is being used to help lessen the damage. I'm looking for some suggestions in dealing with the little whiteflies in a non-pesticidal fashion. I'm googling for information, and will post back when I discover something if I find something that might apply.

I have some banana peppers nearby that are not being affected. There is some mustard leaves growing that are being attacked. I'm wondering if some banana peppers ground up and put into a squirt bottle will help... Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Reply to
Jim Carlock

Does anyone know if silverleaf whitefly are what turns into cabbage worms ? I hand picked the cabbage worms off the tomato plants last month. The leaves on the tomato plants turned brown and were all brown by the time I got back from a one-week trip. There are some new leaves growing back, but I'm seeing that one is starting to turn brown again.

I've made some citrus oil spray by leaving some orange peels in a gallon of water for a week. Man that stuff stinks. :-) Any one know anything about using such items ? It seems to have burned the leaves on the mustard so I don't spray the mustard with it any longer.

Any suggestions around ?

Reply to
Jim Carlock

Suggestions I've found for the cabbage worms, include the use of some wasps which lay eggs into the worms.

For the silverleaf whitefly, oil is suggested, so I tried some corn oil and I'm not really sure that is as alkaline as needed. Soap is suggested as a good alkaline to use and I'm reading that it kills all stages of whiteflies. So I'm wondering if it would be okay to put some dish detergent into a bottle of water and spray the leaves with this.

Some of the things I've tried:

1) corn oil in a water dilution (doesn't seem to have an effect) 2) cinnamon with corn oil in a water dilution (no effect but clogs the hand pumped spray bottle) 3) I've placed some cinnamon around the base of the plant hoping the smell might work (no noticeable effect). 4) I've placed chopped onion around the base as well (no noticeable effect).

I guess maybe if the cinnamon is absorbed into the plant ??? :-)

There are two questions...

1) treatment of cabbage worms (they have very healthy appetites). 2) treatment of silverleaf whitefly
Reply to
Jim Carlock