Silver Birch

Hi,
Sorry i am new to this forum! I have recently bought a three foot hig silver birch...id like some advice - i was told that i would need t plant the tree as far away from the house as its adult height, so fo birches it would need to be about 30ft. IS this correct? can it b planted closer to the house without ruining the house foundations ect At the moment i have it planted in a pot & i was told that this is oka & i can keep it as a bonsai..is this true? if so does anyone have an tips?
Many thanks
-- need help
Addressing your question.
Birch require full sun and a steady supply of water. The stomata of birch are stuck open so they will require some water during dry times. Remember over watering is a serious problem. Water just enough to moisten the non-woody roots in the upper four inches of soil away from the trunk.
Planting for birch http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/T/tree_planting.html and http://home.ccil.org/~treeman/sub1.html
Mulching for birch - http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/M/mulch.html and http://home.ccil.org/~treeman/sub3.html
Pruning for birch http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/tree_pruning
Fertilization of birch (See A Touch of Chemistry) http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/shigo/CHEM.html
Other info: Troubles in the Rhizosphere http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/shigo/RHIZO.html
Tree Farming and Related Problems http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/SOUND /
Sincerely, John A. Keslick, Jr. Consulting Arborist http://home.ccil.org/~treeman and www.treedictionary.com Beware of so-called tree experts who do not understand tree biology. Storms, fires, floods, earthquakes, and volcanic eruptions keep reminding us that we are not the boss.